Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling pretty down. We got a new puppy 7 weeks ago. We have 3 cats and 2 other dogs. My one cat (Scratch), who is my favorite just absolutely hates the puppy. It has gotten worse over time, not better but the puppy has gotten more confident and rowdy. She is still learning to respect the cats. The other 2 cats are fairly tolerant of her, one sets good boundaries, the other is a marshmallow. I am trying to give my cat treats when the puppy is around to have positive associations and he is very food motivated. Scratch is very smart and I think is probably creating more anxiety because of it. Now my cat has started hating me as well. I haven't changed anything and have been giving him special treats but he is running behind the furnace and hiding. He will come out to eat from my hand and run straight back to hide. He growled and hissed at me. The puppy was not around or even making noise in the house. He also pretty much has the basement as a safe space away from the puppy. I am wondering if I need to force him to spend more time in the same room as the puppy. This is really getting to me and I need solutions. I have started Scratch on CBD but I honestly think he is worse. I wouldn't have gotten a puppy if I knew it would be this bad but we have her now. Please help!! I got this puppy because our family has had a tragic year and we need something happy and positive and now I just feel like crying!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Just give it more time. Keep them separated if things get to stressful for the puppy and Scratch. They just need more time to work things out between them. Don’t force Scratch into doing anything he doesn’t want to. I’m sure Scratch isn’t happy about the living condition that entered his territory. Maybe start over in makings introductions between them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts