Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have mentioned Robin loves cheese! Last night I had some leftover nacho dip from a Superbowl party,and I gave him a taste! Obviously I can't make a habit of it. Are there any cheese-treats for cats? Is cheese healthy for kittos?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well,I discovered Friskies Treasures! With fish and cheese! So Robin has a healthy way to get his cheese on! - ^.^-

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
:wink I've never heard those two words in the same sentence.
Lol Mowmow :) True though.

I think you should just give him...cheese. Like, plain, normal, the-stuff-you-eat cheese.

Old cheddar is Muffin's very favorite treat, he goes absolutely nuts for the stuff. He gets a tiny little peice or two every time I have cheese for a snack...which then prompts "But Moooom!" looks from the other kitties so they get some too.

All four of ours will eat any cheese I have offered, with the old white cheddar that's my favorite also being the biggest hit with the kit-cats.

I have also tried the purebites cheese treats (dehydrated cheddar for those unfamiliar with purebites) but I found them messy, hard to break into kitty-sized peices, and much less popular than the real thing.

As an extra special treat I'll sometimes sprinkle a bit of kraft parmesean over top of their dinner, just a little bit, but they love it.

Oh, make sure to be careful to only give them very small amounts, too much cheese (or any dairy product) can give them the runs.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I make my own pizza and I always give the cats small bits of shredded mozzarella, as long as I give them too much I find they handle it well. They each get a bit of homemade yogurt in the evenings as well, just a tsp and they LOVE that. Since it's good for them and doesn't seem to bother their tummies I don't worry on it too much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haha I have offered my kitten Mira small pieces of cheese 3 or 4 times so far, and each time she looks at me like I'm trying to give her broccoli!

I keep trying because my neighbor kitty who stalks me loves when I share my cheese with him, and Mira is very jealous of me whenever I eat.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean it's O.K. to give him CHEESE? CHEESE cheese? What I like to do is buy string mozerella,and give him a peel or 2! I'll TRY the occasional sprinkle of parmesian! What about cottage cheese? Just a spoonful?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Just remember what others have said, too much and it could have unfortunate results. I would try a TINY bit and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx,and I will remember-just a TINY bit.

OT Book Rec:The Cat Who Said Cheese-Lilian Jackson Braun

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've heard cheddar cheese is better than moz. or parmesian cheese for cats. Also processed cheese is not good for cats. There are cheese with reduced lactose on market as well :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about how healthy cheese is for cats - but as I'm lactose intolerant I'm well versed in the lactose content of cheese. It's easy to see how much lactose is in cheese based on the labeling - lactose is a sugar so to quickly tell just check the label for sugars.

Aged cheeses like cheddar, jack, parmesan, etc. have no lactose. Lactose is used/lost in the cheese making process.

Soft cheese like Cream cheese or brie have varying amounts of lactose in them but still significantly less than milk. Cream cheese seems to be a steady 1gm - 2gm per serving (as compared to 12gm - 14gm in a serving of milk)

Processed cheese doesn't seem to have any lactose in them (or its not enough to hurt *me*) even though they do list sugar on the label..

Even cream and sour cream have very little lactose - similar to cream cheese. Heavy whipping cream has none at all. Natural yogurt with real bacteria in it has very little lactose, but some of the processed yogurts have loads of lactose, since many yogurts add sugar it's hard to tell from the label how much lactose is in there..

Beyond the lactose content, how cheese affects a cats tummy I don't know. My cats love cheese and I give them a little now and then with no ill effect. I give them a bit of lactose-free milk occasionally as well and they also seem to tolerate it pretty well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All my cats and kittens eat cheese, either shredded cheddar or mozzarella. I have one girl who is especially cheese mad and her kittens are all the same way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts