Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 cats, Snickers I have had since she was a tiny kitten (found in a garbage bag) she has always lived with other cats and gets along well with them. She is 11 now. Jake I got a few months ago as a 8-10 week old kitten from the local humane society. He is like 8 or 9 months old now. At first they loved each other, cuddled, snickers groomed him a lot and played with him a little. As Jake has gotten older he has gotten more rough and does not back off when she tells him too.

Lately Jake has been getting worse and worse with Snickers. It started as him wanting to wrestle and play and now he just beats her up all the time. She is 11 years old, he is about 8 or 9 months old now. I went and got a couple feline appeasement pheromone diffusers, switched them to raw (just incase the aggression was related to something with the food). I play with him for 15 to 20 minutes twice a day with a toy on a string and he goes for little walks around the building on leash or down to the laundry room with me (on leash) every day too. I have a studio apartment so I have no way to physically separate them. When I see him about to go after her I get his attention and call him away and distract him with something else, or I spray him if he won't call away.

There are 2 litter boxes, several water bowls, 2 cat trees, several cardboard scratchers, lots of toys, 3 boxes with holes cut in them for them to hide in.

Is there anything else I can do? I am at the point where he is going to need to find a new home. He is a good cat otherwise, but snickers doesn't need this at her age. They wake me up at night fighting and I'm also worried that a neighbor will complain. Any other suggestions before I start looking for a new home for Jake?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Initially Snickers and the kitten got along, but your boy is now in the very bratty 8-9 mos. old stage=think of 12 y.o. boys, who are rowdy, like to roughouse and bully. Snickers is waay past playing that way, so my suggestiion to you for this senior girl is to kennel her when you cannot closely supervise her. Get a large-size dog crate as it will easily give her some space, and be able to have a litter tray, cat bed and food/water in it. Sometimes you can pick up a secondhand one on Craigslist or kijiji cheaply. Start by feeding all her meals and treats in the crate. Confine her in the crate at night. She will soon come to view the crate not as a jail but as a safe haven so that she isn't pestered and attacked. Let her out when you are at home and can closely supervise, but if you go out to work or shopping confine her to the crate. The other alternative would be to confine her to the bathroom (assuming it has a door). Since she is less active than your bouncy boy, she would be more content being the one that is confined. Good luck, and hope you'll give us an update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts