Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have half-adopted a stray who followed me home. She's always sweet and loving and she's still young. She follows me everywhere in the neighborhood, like a puppy.

She's mostly in the street, but dines and spends the nights on the sofa in the lobby of our building. Since we have 2 more cats in the building (we made them a bedroom on the underground floor, another couch), she likes me very much to stay with her while she sleeps, I suppose for warmth and safety. She lies with her back and head on my thigh, the way they do with their mothers as kittens. But when I get up to go up to my apt., she grabs me with her claws and/or tries to bite me. I've tried getting up very gradually and slowly, and I've tried the "NO!" thing, but with little results.

Note: she won't come up to sleep in my apt. because she's afraid of the elevator and the other cats have marked the stairs with their urine, so she's afraid of the stairs too. Besides, I'm not allowed a pet by the landlord and I don't have money for vet visits, so I can't fully adopt a cat.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Normally I'd suggest just trimming her claws when they get sharp, but since she's still mostly a stray, that'd probably be unwise. She needs those claws to help her survive as long as she's out there.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other solutions. This seems to be a kitten thing, and she may grow out of it in time. One of my cats does this a lot, the other only did it a little when he was younger.

One tip for protecting you is that when she latches on, instead of pulling away further, push your hand (or whatever she's latched on to) towards her so you can unhook yourself, and then try to pull away swiftly. I've learned one too many times with Athena that continuing to pull away, even slowly, will only encourage her to dig her claws in deeper. Gotta unhook them before you can get away! :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would hiss at her when she does it to let her know that isn't ok. If she isn't phased by that, I would scruff her and carefully put her on the ground as you stand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There was a cat like this in my neighborhood a while back. My first encounter with him made me a little nervous when he tried to bite.

How young is she? still a kitten or more of a "teenager"?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She seems to me more like a teenager...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to try to distract her when it's time for you to leave. Perhaps bring a little treat and let her go down to the floor for it when you make your escape, or crumple some paper and toss it for her to chase...or, if you have (or can get) a little laser light, she could chase that while you get up...or anything else you can think of to distract her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts