Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We plan on moving sometime this year(if all goes well), and I need to design a cat house(to be built behind the main house). My idea is kinda like a guest house with a fenced-off yard attached. I have a bunch of ideas but am still deciding on how best to do it. The cats currently live in a room downstairs with a cat door that goes to a screened-in porch. the floors are fake wood, they have 2 cat genie cat toilets, easily cleaned shelves with baby quilts to sleep on(easily washed), 2 bedside tables made into "cat houses", and a small wood shelf that is flipped to be like 2 boxes to sleep in. Having 6 inside cats, they are very messy. The usual carpeted cat trees get peed on, so I gave up using them. Cat beds are too difficult to wash and hair clings too much to them. I have to vaccume the room daily with a shop vac & mop it weekly. I wipe the shelves down about twice a week because they get dirty too.they mark the cat door, so it is a daily cleaning job. I am trying to figure out the best flooring for the new cat house. I read that concrete retains bacteria(which is weird that it was in all the kennels I worked at). wood & fake wood floors get ruined too easily. any ideas? I also am thinking of some way to cover part of the wall to make it easy to clean when they mark or rub on it. i'm going to have plastic scratching spots on the wall for them to rub on, also shelves and walkways. I was thinking of using some sort of shallow modern bowl sink for them to drink from rather than a typical bowl. i'm going to keep using the cat genie toilets, but might get one or two more. for the outdoor fencing I was thinking of a large animal enclosure(built for exotic cats) rather than a normal fence. then I don't have to worry about raccoons, bobcats, or cougars bothering the cats. they make them in really large sizes. I would have a lawn for the cats and have planters with catnip(so i could change them out). Also real logs outside to scratch and climb on. anyone want to help me come up with ideas? I want the cats to be happy. I am very allergic to them, so I can't have them around the house. right now I have to spend time with them in the morning before I shower, and can't cuddle with them again during the day unless I want to shower again. 3 of the cats don't have front claws, so they can't go outside. I'll probably put the pigeon houses near the cat house(they like watching them fly). I may put in skylights, I want it to be a really peaceful place.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You may be in largely uncharted territory with such lofty ambitions, but I for one can't wait to see the results.

·
Registered
273 Posts
since you are starting from square one what you can do is use an epoxy floor coating so that the floor can be sterilized as needed. it would also be recommended to use the same epoxy for the bottom 18" of the walls so there is no urine problem there as well. this does require a bit of preparation but it is very doable.

another flooring option would be to use what are called VCT (vinyl composition tile). i did this at my local shelter since epoxy was not an option due to excessive hydrostatic pressure. what i did for the walls in this situation was to use an industrial one part enamel in lieu of doing the epoxy.

i do this type of thing for a living, so if you have questions please don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts