Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yoda, my 7 year old nm Oriental Shorthair, has enjoyed his old scratching post for years and it is looking pretty ratty as a result of his attentions. About a year ago I decided to purchase a new scratchign post for him. It is similar to the old one--a carpet covered post on a board. It is a bit taller because I thought my leggy boy would enjoy the extra height. I placed the new post in the same spot the old post had occupied. It is now a year later and Yoda has never used the new post. He seeks out the old post in the guest room--I hesitated to throw it out until he had accepted the new post.

Any suggestions about introducing the new post would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I remember having read somewhere that cats enjoy well used scratching posts ..so you might never get rid of it :lol:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Julia had had an old scratching post she had used a lot, but it was thrown out before she got to me. She's good natured and doesn't claw things, but I got a new one anyway which she doesn't seem to like. Or use anyway. Although my declawed cat "uses" it. I think I'm going to try to put some catnip on it. Or in it (the top comes off, although I don't think it's supposed to).

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh - and all I had to do for Moby to learn was pretend scratch it myself, and he started right away. Might depend on how picky they are, but make sure it looks similar (or is inviting).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts