Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scully keep trying to take the kittens out of my room. The problem is, there is nowhere in the house for her to go. We've kept her confined to my bedroom she tried, twice, to bring a kitten out but the door has been closed so she went right back. She seems really restless and anxious and wants out!

Do I just wait it out? Keep her in here until she settles down? I know she's not stressed in my room, it's the quietest place in the house and she's hardly bothered, so is this just an instinctive thing?

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, guess who meowed all night last night. 8O Yeah.......

Is there anything I can do for her? I can't sleep like this!

·
Registered
706 Posts

Maybe shes bored? :? :wink: I don't kno tho, but that'd be my guess lol If there was another reason i wouldn't kno it. good luck!

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We let her back out and about today, we're just trying to make sure she doesn't move the kittens. Mostly because she would try to move them into a bureau or under a dresser, and that wouldn't be cool. But she hasn't tried to move them again, so maybe her crazy hormonal mothering has subsided.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
That makes sense.. i wasn't sure what you were afraid of.. I would say let scully have full run like usual. She is going to start spending more and more time away from the kittens.. She is probally sick of being in one room, and who can blame her :wink:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
676 Posts
She is moving them because she didn't feel it was comfortable or safe for her and her kittens. Try to offer her alternate spots through out your house which are safe.
I don't know how old these kittens are. But set up some big boxes which the mother can easily get in and out of, but not the kittens. Put some towels in it.
If the box does not have a top, you can put it under something that you have easy access too because mother cats seem to prefer this.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, she's a foster cat. We already have another cat, plus a dog that we're watching for the week. It's hard enough to coordinate so that when she is out and about, the other cat is not, and vice versa. Moving the kittens out of my bedroom is not feasible.

I know that in the wild, felines will instinctively move their young several times during their infancy. They do this whether or not they feel threatened, it's merely a measure to protect their young from possible predators. I understand that, but it simply will not work for Scully or her kittens. They are fine and secure in the quietest spot in the house. She is not stressed or panicky, simply a little restless (who can blame her?).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with Angelzoo. You *need* to offer her some other options - in the SAME room. She needs a private feeling spot that is acceptable to you too. I often use a cat carrier with the front gate removed for young kittens. A cardboard box works great too.

A mom that is stressed about her kittens safety is an unhappy mom. (As you can tell from her crying.)

Whatever you offer for shelter, she'll probably like it better if you can drape an old towel or something over it so she has LOTS of privacy.

Some cats just want it more hidden than others. Most of my foster moms never move the kittens, but I do offer them a couple of options usually and they pick what they like. I have also found that some moms don't like it when I handle the young kittens. Most are fine, but a couple start to move the kittens if I visit too much so I just give them more privacy.

~Heather

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh. I forgot to update it earlier, but I figured out why she was crying. She knocked over her water bowl into her food dish. So no food and water for the better part of the night. I din't figure it out until I rolled out of bed this morning to try to appease her. One she got some more food and water, she ws fine.

Like I said, she is not stressed, nor had she tried to move the kittens again. I think this is just a hormonal urge, but I was curious to see what other opinions were.

·
Registered
254 Posts
All I can say is perhaps she don't feel comfortable? or safe? One thing I learned when cats have kittens, is mostly they like them in a small space. Such as the bottom of a closet(leaving door open, but blocking it off with a board or something so mommy can come out).

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She is in a closet and there is a board to barricade (the kittens started crawling out). No one can actually get into the nest except for her. The only thing I can think of that may have stressed her out yesterday is that the dog has been over. Now, he's not allowed in my room or anywhere near the cats, but that may have been it.

Bottom line, she seems to be doing better, and I only asked because she is not stressed, so I was wondering why she would want to move the kittens. Again, I do believe it was more instinctive than anything else, but I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It is normal behavior for a queen to move her litter several times in the first few weeks; it's one way of keeping predators from finding the nest. It's a deep instinct for a momcat.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts