Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to introduce my cat, (neutered male) to my roommates two spayed females. All three cats are about 18 months old, and the females are the existing cats. I brought him in yesterday and let him explore the apartment while her cats were in one of the bedrooms. Then, I locked him in my bedroom and let her cats roam free. None of the cats seem extremely upset, from what I can tell. My cat was a bit nervous when we first got here...sniffing around and exploring, but he has since settled in and is playing, eating, sleeping, and using the litterbox normally.

There has been some interest at the base of the door by all of the cats. They were trying to stick their paws under last night, and there was a lot of sniffing. There hasn't been any obvious aggression- no hissing, spitting, or growling. My cat has been trilling softly, it sounds like he is trying to "talk" to them through the door. I have sprayed feliway around the base of the door on both sides, as well as in my bedroom. I think the girls are used to his scent because I moved my furniture in a few weeks ago. They have been sniffing the door and occasionally will freeze and look at the door when they can sense him there, but mostly they are just hanging out normally and lying around.

I know it's only been one day, but are we ready to move to step two and crack the door so they can see each other? I am not in a rush to get them all introduced, but the setup of the apartment means that my roommate and I need to walk through my bedroom a lot, to get to the other side of the apartment where her bedroom and the bathroom are located. I am afraid that one of the cats will "dart" through while we are moving around, and then the introduction would be not-so-gradual at all. I am also a little worried because the girls have essentially been shut out of 1/2 the apartment and I don't want to upset their routine for too long. Should I move my cat to the bathroom or something so that the resident cats can regain access to my bedroom and my roommate's bedroom?

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
146 Posts
sounds like they are doing pretty well....my existing kitten hissed and growled like CRAZY while sniffing at the new kitten under the door, for a few days....

do you have a kennel or cage or carrier? If you do, i would suggest putting the new kitty in there for the first face to face intro, that way if there is any hostility, you know that no one will get hurt.

im no pro, but id be willing to bet that if there is no hostility at under the door sniffing, nothing drastic would happen on first intro.

i used a carrier for first introduction, put the new cat in it, and let the original kitten walk around and eyeball him for a bit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
your cat is saying "hey babeh, im the new alpha male in these parts, im a cool cat that just likes to hang out!" lol

your doing good. my cat freaked hissed and yelled and tried to scratch jade through the door. she even tried to open the door to get to her, talk about gangsta lmao.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts