Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving into a house in about 3 weeks with another girl that I do not currently live with. She has a 2 year old neutered male indoor-outdoor cat, and I have a 2 year old spayed female indoor cat (not sure if it matters, but both were rescued from a shelter). We are moving into neutral territory--neither cat has lived in or been to this new house before. How should we introduce them?

I'm curious if, since the house is neutral ground, we can put them on either side of the living room so they each can escape in different directions if needed? Not sure how to do this.

In case it's important to know my cat's personality: she doesn't care much for other people but is super cuddly with me, and also a bit territorial. She's incredibly smart (can open doors and cabinets) and we play about 5-10 times a day since I work from home. We live with a dog, and my she is fine with him and with other dogs that have been in the house (she hisses at them if they get close or follow her around, but otherwise ignores them). I don't know how she does around other cats, but she was fine in a room with 10 other cats when she was in the shelter.

I don't know much about my future roommate's cat, but from what I have heard, he is laid back and friendly.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Start scent swapping now. Once the cats settle into the new home, let them each explore the house separately. It'll take them a few weeks to adjust to the new home, so don't push them into a new relationship too. Maybe let them see each after the settle in period through a screen door. Only go as fast as they want or it'll set them up to see each other negatively. Some cats will be fine and others will take a while to tolerate each in the same house.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts