Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been reading on this forum for quite some time and I have finally decided to join and ask a question.

I have a one year old tuxedo Male kitten. My fathers cat recently had Kittens (about a month ago). My wife and I want to adopt one of the kittens. Here is my delema. There is a mostly black female that I would like to get, but she looks like she may be a slightly longer hair cat and I would prefer a short haired cat. There is also one male that is definately a short haired cat. My question is, would it be better to bring in a Female or Male with my one year old male cat? Also, at this point it is hard to tell if the female will be short or long haired, the mother is short, and the father is longer haired, but not super long. Will it be easier to tell as the kittens get a little older? Any help on either/both questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the Cat Forum.

The first thing to ascertain is whether or not your present male kitty has been neutered or not. That will establish some of the answers about whether to adopt a male or a female.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mike is exactly right...if you plan to take a kitten of the opposite sex to your older male, your male will most definitely need to be neutered. I'm sorry to have to put it this way (I'm not trying to be rude), but there is just too many homeless and unwanted kittens and cats in this world already to justify bringing any more into the world at this time. And if he is not fixed, it would not be unusual for the kitten to become pregnant with her own litter by as young as 4-6 months of age...what a tragedy that would be for her, and the litter that she will have to attempt to care for, while you have to figure out where the kittens are going to be placed once they're weaned.

Okay, I'm jumping down from my soapbox now! :lol:

If the male is neutered, I would highly recommend that you take the female kitten, as she will not present as much of a threat to his territory as another male would...even if she does not have the coat type you're looking for. This is also recommended by a lot of cat web sites and organizations. Please be sure in any case that the older cat and kitten are introduced very gradually...too much too fast may cause unnecessary fighting, and even possible injury. There are many threads on this site on how to introduce an older cat to a kitten properly.

If allergies are the problem with a long-haired variety, there are many ways to reduce this problem, such as over-the-counter medications or prescription allergy medicines. Also, daily grooming, regular vacuuming, and a dander-reducing shampoo for a kitty bath once every 4 months or so may also help. But I had heard from several members of this forum that their long-haired cats actually tend to shed less than many short-haired cats...whether this is true or not, I can't say.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If allergies are your concern, the length of coat will not matter, as allergies don't come from the hair. They come from a protein in the saliva and skin -- so even hairless cats irritate allergies.

I would definitely suggest the female. Unless they are littermates, two females or two males have a worse track record for getting along. Every cat is different of course, so although it put things in your favor to look at stats, you also want to think about your cat's personality. Females *and* males can be very territorial when it comes to other cats of the same sex, especially if they were an only cat before. In your case, I'd go with opposite sex, and please spay and neuter. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my current male is neutered. I wouldn't have it any other way and no matter what kitten I get, they will be fixed as soon as they are old enough. Allergies are not the concern. i am just more concerned about long cat hairs around the house. But it seems to be the common idea to go for the female. How long does it take to be able to see easier whether she will be long haired or short haired? Maybe I am looking into this a little to much. I will try to post some pictures as soon as i get them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts