Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know where to start. I am starting to think a guest in my home over Christmas pychologically abused my beloved calico. She won't come near me and she's normally glued to me. She won't cuddle with me. She isn't playing and she normally races around the house. She doesn't respond to my voice. I did check her out physically and she seems fine, though I'm going to make an appointment with the vet. I'm heartsick and cannot think of any other reason why her behavior would change so dramatically.

·
Super Moderator
26,625 Posts
Welcome!

When did this behavior start? I ask because my little calico is still spooked from the idiots setting off firecrackers yesterday in my neighborhood. Someone may have accidentally stepped on her tail or something like that recently. Psychological abuse is kind of the last thing that I would think of. She could have seen another cat outside that spooked her. Making an appointment with your vet is a good start to finding answers. We worry about everything with our pets, I hope you find some answers.

Now that I think about it, just having company used to freak my girls out. Big time. They would go into hiding and be suspicious that any minute now, someone else might be coming through the door. Maybe just having guests did that to her, not any particular incident. Just a thought.

My Charlee finally fell asleep on me last night, but it was rough for a while. What is your little girl's name? Pictures?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, any changes in their routine will upset your kitties. Sometimes when we move the furniture around, it takes them a few days to come back out to the room where everything is moved!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a great idea to take her to the vet, just in case. But the craziness of the holidays, plus having guests most likely just stressed her out and made her feel insecure and unsure. All the unfamiliar smells and noises. There are quite a few tricks you can use, but here are a few:
You can use Feliway spray or diffuser. It mimicks the friendly facial pheromones in cats, so when she smells it she will think they are hers, and it may help to put her at ease. Or you can take a sock and rub it on her face gently, and then rub it on corners of furniture and places she usually goes at about her face height.
Interactive play (such as fishing pole toys with feathers at the end) will also help build her confidence. Even if she won't play, but seems mildly interested I would still do it a couple times a day. Eventually she won't be able to resist a pounce. You can use catnip, if she likes it, to decrease her inhibitions.
Start in the areas she's most comfortable and then very gradually increase that territory a tiny bit during each session, once she begins to engage. At the end of the sessions, I would give her super yummy treats that she loves.
Treats are going to be very handy to create positive association in the places she has become unsure and afraid of.
Best of luck! ❤

1 - 4 of 4 Posts