Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our apartment is getting quite cold right now. It is heated, but its an old building and still gets pretty cold, especially overnight. We humans don't really mind, but I get the feeling from his slightly odd behavior that he is a bit uncomfortable.

(Plus, when I turn on the space heater, he sprawls out in front of it...!)

Besides the obvious letting him sleep with us, more blankets on his bed, and turning on space heater when we're around, is there any other trick to keeping your kitty warm during the winter months?

Thanks,
--steve

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've heard of people using heated blankets but I don't know how safe that is. I'm a fairly new cat owner so am not full of sage advice like some others here on the forum are so I hope one of them comes along and helps you out!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They do make heated cat beds. Also a box lined with some old towels or blankets makes a good sleeping space because the cat's own body heat will warm the space.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Some cats really feel the cold, like the hairless Sphynx and sparse-coated Devon Rexes. My Devon boy almost looked like a Sphynx when I got him as a kitten and it took a year for his coat to come in. I used to put a toy size doggie sweater on him. He didn't like it much at first, but got used to it and it kept him from shivering. He's got more coat now, but it's not as thick as it could be and he's a real heat seeker---when he hears the furnace come on he immediately goes and lies on top of a floor register.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm not sure if this'll work. Perhaps try a hot water bottle underneath some blankets? Or one of those heated electric blankets?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We keep a heated cat bed in every room. We buy them when they are on clearance in the spring. The best brand is K & H. They are constantly slightly above room temperature. When your cat is on the bed, it heats up to a cozy 102 degrees F.

On cold days, you can't find an empty heated bed in the house. Sometimes they sleep two (or 3) to a bed.

Heres one of their favorites:
Heated cat beds: Heated Cat Cup Bed at Drs. Foster & Smith

Last spring I found them at petco for $25 each. I offered to by all 20 of them for $12 and they took me up on it. :) That was nice. Was able to give them to rescues and friends...plus keep plenty for my kitties.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Kittys mom, that is very very nice of you to buy them for your friends and rescues. Actually, maybe I'll buy a few too. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've also used insulating material under a thin towel. My favorite is sold in
hardware stores in a roll and looks like "bubble wrap" with a layer of aluminum
foil on either side. It is a very good body heat reflector.

BTW. I have been told NOT to use heating blankets/pads etc that a made
for people as they are too hot. The cat/dog heating pads (they're hard
plastic) are 102 degrees, the same as a cats body temp. Apparently that's
quite warm enough (to a cat). My stray cat Squiggy stays in an unheated
garage and rarely uses the heating pad preferring a chair with the aforementioned
reflector material over a thin blanket. He's out there as we
speak/write and it's 15 degrees. He's not happy as the saying goes, but he's comfortable.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the apartment is warm enough for you, it's warm enough for your cat, and cats have a way of finding cozy spots. Just keeping doing what you're doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts