Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I grew up with cats but I haven't had any cats for 20 years or so. We finally decided we wanted a cat. We adopted one from a lady we met online. Thor is a beautiful 11 month old orange tabby. He seemed well socialized and very affectionate from the very beginning. He purred loud and seeked our company. He jumped up on the sofa next to us and enjoyed petting. He slept in our beds and slept long naps on chairs and sofas etc. It was kitty heaven for 2-3 weeks. Then it started changing ... he stopped sleeping in beds then he stopped jumping up on sofas and started hiding again under my bed which he only did in the first couple days. I don't understand what happened. Did we go too fast? Will this go back to normal? I can get him to come and jump up on the sofa with treats and catnip and he might stay if I leave him alone. But it seems he does not need affection or contact from us. He is still social... he greets us with a cute purr-meow every time, he lets us pet him but I can tell he does not really enjoy it. He likes or presence... he always stays close by somewhere on the floor but he no longer comes close and settles down next to us. Please help...I feel like we messed up somehow and I would like to return back to kitty heaven.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hard to say what changed him.....strange stray cat looking in from outside? Strange noises in your house/apt such as someone banging something, or even music that's too loud/discordent or hasn't been played before? Are you using a different perfume or after shave lotion or other scented cream like suntan lotion? Just keep encouraging him to come to you, but you can't force him to be cuddly. At 11 mos. old he's in his "terrible teens" stage when cats can change their personality to being more independent and aloof and really brattty. Most grow out of it and become more mellow past 2 yrs. So this is my guess as to where he's at right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts