Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 3-4 year old male cat and I believe he is lonely. I have had him for 2 years now and over the past month or two it would seem as though he is lonely. There are two people in my apartment and he was always more attached to the other person living here however he now comes to me for attention. From when he was born to when he was 1 or 2 he lived with two other cats his sister and his brother. Does he need to live with other cats because of this reason? The previous owners said it seemed like he didn't like it much but still. Thanks!

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
143 Posts
Cats can do quite well on their own. If the previous owners said he didn't like other cats much, then I wouldn't be trying to introduce another one. Just try giving him some more attention and some more play sessions.

·
Registered
Andy and Bugsy, best buds!
213 Posts
It my be worth a try getting another cat. We adopted a young cat, Andy, whose owner passed away. He was the only cat in her house. He immediately bonded with our 3 year-old Toby. Sadly, Toby passed away a couple of months ago at 6 years old. Andy seemed lonely. So we adopted Bugsy, who is 6 years old. They are inseparable and Toby has even become more outgoing. We did "socialize" them for 6 days. You never know.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would strongly caution you against getting another cat "for the cat"
First, you cat may not be lonely, and that could be only your interpretation. Cats are mysterious and we don't often know what they are feeling.
Second, she may, even if she is lonely, just want more human contact, not another cat.
third, you have no way to know if another cat would get along with her or if she might see the new cat as an interloper, getting some of the attention she thinks should be all hers, and that would make the whole situation a lot worse. Plus, you'd have a problem as to what to do with the new cat.

A person should never, ever get another animal "for" the resident animal, but only if the person really really wants another animal. Don't just get another cat. Try instead doing various other things. Get new toys, play with the cat more often, give him more attention, and so on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts