Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boof got out saturday night. he is never outside at night but is during the day. haven't seen him since. is he gone forever or is there a possibilty of a return. he is 2 and neutered :(

·
Banned
470 Posts
If he's out during the day, he should be able to find his way back. Have heard stories of cats traveling miles and miles to get home. Does he have a collar and chip? Hope he scoots his butt back home soon.

In the future though, would probably be healthiest to keep him indoors only. Pretty risky outdoors nowadays.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have gone through this quite recently. Arnie got out on bonfire night, and a few days later. The first time he tootled home at 8pm (well after dark now) with not a care in the world. A few days later he went out in the morning and by 11pm he still wasnt home, we searched the woods behind us, the neigbours etc. he cried at the door at 3am! We figured out he likes a bit of drizzel but if it rains he hides somewhere (not sure where) and wont come home till it stops.

I had to go to bed with the bedroom window open so i could hear, didn't get much sleep though! Dont give up just yet, he will find his way home when hes hungry enough.

I would suggest getting him microchipped though at collars are easy enough to slip off.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
If he goes out during the day he should know his way home I would think. I remember my dad taking fighting Tom cats to other farms and dropping them when I was a kid and them finding their way home from MILES away.

Is he chipped? Was he wearing a collar so if some well meaning person picked him up they could call?

If it were Mow, I'd start with the local shelters. Email a picture of him to them to ask if he's been turned in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i don't wait till he shows up or not. someone might kept him knowing he might be lost!!
ask neighbors, put sign around your area mailboxes, check shelters, vets and put his pics with description in craigslist if available in your area!good luck!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I wouldn't rely on the fact that he has a collar with your contact details, since he might have gotten separated from the collar. You say he left on Saturday morning, and it's now around 1:30am Tuesday morning in Brisbane, so if he's not back when you get up in a few hours, I agree with the other posters...it's time to start calling around to shelters and vets, asking around, etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Elvis has gotten out numerous times during his life; uncountable times doordashing while i lived with my mom and once or twice living in Chicago. All times have been during the day. Every time he has come back.

If you're truly worried about this, be proactive. Go out searching. Put up flyers. Go to shelters. Ask around town, etc. Anything but sitting there worried is good. I hope he is found.

I had a neighbor in the Chicago suburbs that lost his indoor/outdoor cat who never came home one day. The cat was "missing" for months. And then one day, a block or two away, a neighbor found her and he got her back. So it's possible. He put out flyers and made everyone he knew and I'm sure some he didn't aware that she was missing.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I used to let my cats go outdoors, and one time "Max" (Manx/Russian Blue mix) took off. We put ads in newspaper and flyers, but no answer and I thought he was a goner as we lived on the edge of a rural property and there were coyotes and foxes in the vicinity. But one day about 2 wks. later Max came back, a little thinner, but OK. Do you have dingos in your area? or other type of predators? Another time, my husband's cat disappeared for a year and then showed up at the door step looking just fine, he thinks she was fed or taken in by a neighbour as she was in good shape. So don't give up hope!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here's why flyers are important.

I found a kitten in my neighborhood and I put him the back room. I went to the local shelter and listed him as found and put a picture on their bulletin board. No response. So, I put up flyers all over the neighborhood. Days went by.

Some, not too bright, cat owner found my flyer in the neighborhood after a week and called me.

It never occurred to her to go to the local shelter or to pay attention to flyers at first. She just assumed her kitten was missing for good and took absolutely no action to try to find it expect finally noticing a flyer.

They were reunited. She was not even bright enough to compensate me in any way for the Advantage I put on her kitten or the money I spent feeding him for a week.

The point is.... Be Proactive. I had a cat that went missing.

Flyers with pictures around the neighborhood.
Go in personally to the local vets.
Knock on the doors of neighbors, especially ones you know have cats. Put them on alert.
Go out and walk around day and night and call kittie. This will leave your scent in the neighborhood.
Go to the shelter every day.
Put a lost and found post in your local newspaper. Sometimes they are free.
You will probably find someone who knows something.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Very good advice from Gracenote.
Cats do go off on adventures, especially if the weather is nice.
The first time they disappear is the worst. It's normal to think they're gone for good.
But -they almost always come back!
If they don't come back in a few days, get the word out with flyers and go door to door.
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sadly I fear this is the reason so many cats that come in to our shelter are never reunited with their owners. Nobody thinks to call and let us know they are missing, or to check our ads in the paper, or to come in and check. They just "wait and see" and by the time they are done waiting and seeing, 5 business days have gone by and they may have been adopted out or euthanized if they were unfriendly towards staff, sick or injured. (BTW if that is the case they will not inform you after the fact that the cat was ever there. Too many people get crazy.. even though after 5 business days the cat is no longer legally yours.)
Please check with the shelters right away.

There is a very common way that your cat may have found itself at the shelter too. Often times it is your next door neighbours that have decided they have had enough of your cat being in their yard for whatever reason (making their dogs bark, pooping in their garden/sandbox, sitting on or under their vehicles, existing..) and they pick it up and bring it in.. Sometimes they may have even set a live trap to catch it. They usually expect that you will go looking for the cat, and after finding it at the shelter and paying the fee to get it out, you will be less likely to let him out again in the future.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info guys. i rang the shelters around me there's been no cat come in with the collar or fitting description. i printed off flyers and put them all over the area and have asked people in my street. nothing as of yet. left food out last night but it wasn't touched. my area is dangerous. no predators just other cats that are owned. i was out most of the night looking for him but to no success. I now gotta tell my 8 year old sister that her handsome man has gone missing :(

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Post in Craigslist's Pets and Lost and Found sections. Lots of success there. :patback

1 - 20 of 45 Posts