Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm really worried.

My cat is very quiet lethargic, just sitting in the corner and moving very little. But what's worrying me is he is refusing to eat anything at all.

We took him to the vet a week ago, they did loads of tests on him but they showed nothing. He was given a steroid injection - that brightened him up a bit, but he soon went back to being lethargic. We took him back again today, he got another injection - he's a bit brighter now, but I know that will wear off again.

The vet is basically puzzled about what it is, and is virutally saying "Well, I have no idea, it's probably a head problem, nothing I can do, see ya".

I'm really worried about him - have any of you lot got any suggestions for what to do? I can't stand by and watch him walk about looking poorly. He's lot a **** of a lot of weight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can you be more specific on the tests? I'm assuming you mean bloodwork? Did they take any x-rays or recommend ultrasounds? He most likely will subcutaneous fluids at the vets office now that he isn't eating and is lethargic. Why do these things always seem to happen on weekends? :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had many tests, including blood tests and an x-ray, glucose levels, diabetes. I'm not too sure about the ultrasound - whether he had one or not I don't know, but I'll find out.

CTCat said:
Why do these things always seem to happen on weekends? :(
Exactly! It adds to the worry. The vet is suggesting that it is a head problem, such as a tumour, and is at a loss for what else to do. I'm not refusing to accept that or anything, it's just the fact there is no certainty, and I don't want to sit by and watch while he deteriorates. A bit of internet research maybe points to pancreatitis, though I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You need to see a different vet and get a second opinion.

It seems irresponsible for a vet to say that he doesn't know what's wrong but give the cat a steroid shot anyway. It seems lazy, in my opinion. Something similar happened at my vet once, they just gave my kitty a steroid shot and sent us on our way. I was furious to say the least...

Hopefully everything turns out okay, let us know and g'luck. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to give an update...

The cat is now under the supervision of another vet who has decided to take him in overnight and put him on a drip. Another couple of x-rays will be done to investigate a bit further, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I'm so glad you have taken him to another vet! You couldn't just sit by and watch him deteriorate. I hope and pray that the new vet can pinpoint his condition and help him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there, an update and an ending for you...

The vet found a mass on his shoulder, perhaps an explanation for him not eating, perhaps not. At the same time, his right hind paw wasn't doing anything at all. The following morning, his whole leg wouldn't support or balance him. The morning after that, his other back leg gave up. It looks as though he had problems with his whole nervous system - and by yesterday, he was unable to go anywhere without being carried.

He wasn't in pain, as he quite happily attempted to roll over when he saw us, and kept purring away and yawning when he got tickled. The vet said we were free to take him home, but that his condition would only worsen as breathing got more difficult and the lack of food took over. As he became less and less mobile, we decided he should be put down to save him the suffering that would follow soon.

The appointment was booked for 2:10 this afternoon. We put him in his box this morning, next to the window where he rested. And at about 1:00, he had one last deep breath and died.

It was almost as though he knew exactly what was going to happen and preferred to do it at home instead of at the vets. And in a way I'm really glad that it happened like that - lying in his box by the window at home, quite comfortable and happy, and just before he was going to leave the house for the last time.

At least it's all over.

Thanks for all your help and best wishes, it was much appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So very sorry for your kittie and for your heartbreak. You was with him to the end and didn't let him down. I wish I could say something to ease your pain. :(

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm sorry too, there's not much I can say to help but this story almost made me start crying, just thinking about it..... :cry:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think you're right. He wanted to cross the Bridge in his own home, with his loved ones nearby. I'm so sorry. I know what a terrible shock this has been for you. God bless.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Cats really are amazing. And it sounds as if his last moments were grateful ones, loving ones. You are so lucky to have had a cat like him -- he was definitely intuitive and smart the way he went about things. You were a wonderful parent to him for doing all you could -- and it sounds as if he knew it well. How amazing for him to choose his own time to leave, with no distress at all. He sounds like one smart cat, and very very special. He even left a message for you that last day: "my place will always be here with you, so this is where I will take my rest." Bless you both, you're in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts