Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is a 4,years old male, who is a little chubby and has eaten dry food all his life. (I got him recently, I know his last owner fed him only dry food). Anyways, I used to leave his food out for whenever he felt like eating it( just like previous owner). After reading some things here, and in other places, I tried to leave his food (dry or wet) out only for 30-45 minutes and take it away if he doesnt eat it. So he wont get fatter, and discipline his eating habits.

However, he is outsmarting me. I put the food out and he begins to eat for some time then walks away. But, whenever I approch his food he immeadiately runs there, gets there faster than me, and starts eating it or just stands with his head over his bowl, pretending to eat. Cause he figured out that when he is eating I will not take the food away. Its like he is saying "look, look, I'm eating, I'm eating, see?"This goes on all day, I can't take it away from him. No matter in which room he is in, even when he is sleeping, if I begin to approach his food, he hears me and runs there like crazy.

He eventually eats the whole thing during the day or night, but he apparantely likes it just sitting there so he can nibble on it whenever he wants. End result is that his food is still sitting out there all day, cause he wont let me take it away. Is there any way I can outsmart him on this?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
:lol: that is so funny! How long have you been trying this for? Sometimes it will take a kitty awhile to understand that they will only be fed meals and get into the swing of things. If you are 100% consistent with the meal feeding and the time he is fed, I think he should come around. What a smart kitty though!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Only put a certain emount of food down, that way if he eats it all at once you have controlled it and can give him some later. If he nibles on it all day you are still controling how much he is eating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts