Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have had our cat since June and we use the Omega Paw Litter Box with Dr Elsey's clumping litter. The cat is 2 years old and fixed. We have had no problems until Sep 25th. My parents were flying in so we filled the house up all these balloons, decorated, etc. One of the balloons that I was blowing popped and the cat got frightened and bolted. Whenever I touch a balloon he runs now. That night he got on my bed and pooped as I lay there. I decided to empty the litter twice a day instead of one. Today he pooped on my bed again as I lay there. I pushed him too to try and stop him but it was too late. My parents are here, there are more people around. An air mattress is downstairs, things have changed but he still gets the same attention and love. I cannot understand why he is upset or is this action emotional?

ps: He has been to the vet a month ago for a full checkup, no problems. He seems to act normal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
People have reported that the Comfort Zone plugins have helped with potty issues. It releases a pheromone that causes cats to relax. It sounds like he's stressed.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one who had a kitty who pooped on my bed. I agree with scottd that he's stressed about all of the people around - or, if you're stressed, maybe picking up on that. Celia often gets constipated and when she has trouble pooping, she'll run out of the litterbox and poop somewhere else. At first, it was on the doormat, or my nice living room rug. In the past year, she abandoned those places in favor of my bed, though only when I wasn't around. I had to keep the door shut whenever I wasn't at home. The vet thought she had stress colitis, so I tried to pay extra attention to her. She hadn't pooped outside of her litterbox for a few months, so I started leaving the door open again. A few days ago, I came home and she had pooped on the bed again. Sometimes when I'm really busy or stressed, she doesn't get a lot of attention, and I think she poops specifically on my bed when she's upset with me.

Is the litterbox in a quiet area? If there are people around, he might be unwilling to use it. Although it sounds gross, maybe you could try putting the litterbox in your bedroom around the time he comes to poop, at least until your visitors leave?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I washed my sheets and put them on. My roommate got me the Feliaway spray and I used that on my fresh sheets. I was hanging out with the folks in another room and came back to a huge pee spot right where I sleep. Its midnight now and I am doing laundry again and I have the pee stain covered with baking soda because thats all I was able to buy at this hour. Honestly, I feel pretty stressed now as I am not sure what to do to fix this. For now, he's completely banned from all bedrooms. He just sits outside and cries. I took off all the decorations in the house to make him feel at ease earlier today.

The litter box is in a quiet area. My parents will be here till mid November.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd recommend going to the vet. Maybe something could have shown up between a month ago and now?

Also, during your first visit, did you run blood work on him? If not, I'd be inclined to get blood work done, but first see if that's something the vet thinks would help. Sometimes litter box problems are symptoms of underlying health issues. The vet should help identify some possibilities.

The cat isn't declawed, right?

It could also be stress. I honestly have no idea how to fix litter box issues that are happening due to stress, other than trying to relieve that stress in some way. But what I'd recommend doing to ease your own life, is to get a waterproof mattress cover or cover the bed and other areas in plastic whenever possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe its due to stress because the first night when we decorated, etc. he pooped on my bed. This was before the visitors showed up. All the balloons and change freaked him out. He is not declawed, we will take him to the vet. I don't think they ran blood work on him but he had his annual exam a few months ago so they figured he's okay. I think spraying feliaway made him pee though. If there was some magical way to reduce his stress or if he could talk that would be just great.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Yeah, I wish Celia could tell me why she pooped on the bed. Yesterday, I found poop on the doormat by the front door. Sigh.

I've had that experience of being sleepy and heading to bed only to find that I need to change the sheets and throw stuff in the wash.

It's really stressful and frustrating. I can't keep any doors closed while I'm home, because there's just incessant scratching. Maybe they scratch when I'm not home, but at least I can't hear it. :D I hope that your kitty feels calmer very soon. Could you put something on your bed that would deter him from getting on it? Some sort of material that he doesn't like? There are also those sprays, like bitter apple, that are supposed to deter cats from scratching stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We put him on kitty xanax and he is doing much better. We also got the feliway plugin. He acted normal today and seems to be recovering. He's still banned from the bedrooms so only time will tell but for now he's acting like his old self.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts