Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cubby who I have posted on here before about seems sick. He had been to the vet already for being crabby and chasing another of my cats. He has a checkup and they said he was fine. He was a bottle feed so I am unsure if he's crabby because something is wrong or because of that...

Tonight he is off. He let me hold him without fighting for much longer than normal of course growling the whole time. He seems thinner, he was coughing or gagging. Unsure because my son saw it. His third eyelids are slightly exposed. When I pick him up he growls the most so am unsure if he hurts when I do it. He is also more lethargic. I have him in a separate room to be sure he is defecating normally.

To make it more complicated, a few years ago I had a cat who had FIP. Of course I did not know it until my cats were exposed. And it is a possibility that is finally kicking in. I really hope not though, it would be very devastating for me.

I will be calling the vet tomorrow but thought I'd get feedback from here.

·
Super Moderator
26,629 Posts
It's been almost 2 months since he went to the vet, right? It could be something completely new and different. When that happened with Cleo, it was parasites, but the third eyelid is just a symptom and it could be dozens of things, including eye issues.

I would definitely take Cubby to the vet tomorrow. I hope it's nothing serious. :patback

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I hope the vet is able to determine what's wrong with Cubby. Third eyelid exposed, unusual grumpiness, losing weight and lethargy are all red flags to me that something's wrong. He's not Feline Leukemia Positive is he? Has he been tested? Thyroid also may off. He should be tested for that too.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Franklin periodically displayed all 3 symptoms when is Inflammatory Bowel Disease (easily treatable) was undiagnosed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up at the vet who did an xray. He had something in his lungs presumably pneumonia. Bad news i they noticed his heart enlarged. Either heartworm or heart disease. They recommended going back in 2 wks for a new xray and if the heart is still enlarged doing a heartworm test. Then if that's ok a ekg test. Since he was exposed to feline leukemia I will be retesting him for that. (I tested him 6 mo after exposure but to be safe will do again. He did have feleuk vx but that's never 100%) This was way too much info than I wanted to hear. I never gave my cats heartworm medication because it is so rare in cats and now I might have killed him. 2 weeks is a long time to wait, I might just test him before that...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called another vet as he seemed worse. They said a cat with those symptoms the prognosis is poor even if treated. My regular vet said the same. I am heartbroken. You don't realize how much you love someone until you are faced with their possible death. Now I sit here and wonder if he isn't better tomorrow if I should bring him to the vet to let him go...

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your news....that is so sad and devastating. It will be a difficult decision what to do. :patback It is good that you got a second opinion. All the best to you and to Cubby.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'm so sorry you and Cubby are going through this. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some more hopeful news soon.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm so sorry. I can understand how you must feel. Take care, you want to be in the best health yourself so you can be there for him when he needs it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm so sorry. Cubby and your family are in my prayers.

Even when prepare for the worst, you can still always hope for the best!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The meds worked their magic. Cubby looks better today. He looked horrible last night. I talked to two techs today and they said heart disease is manageable through medication. I'm picking up a heartworm test tomorrow so will know more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
He is heartworm negative. He has improved a bit today, but refusing any food so I forced him to eat a pedialyte meat sticks mash. I felt bad but he has to eat or he will not get better. I am convinced it is pneumonia and not heart disease but his next appt will tell. I have just added a humidifier to his room.

Any advice would be wonderful.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Hope Cubby is continuing to improve. Glad to heart you got a definitive diagnosis. Prayers for you and Cubby.

·
Banned
951 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of Cubby's illness, Teasha. I have no advice to offer, but I wanted to let you know I was thinking of you both. I sure hope he improves rapidly and completely!

AC

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your thoughts. I am worrying again. :( I've slept on the floor with him since he has been sick. I was stroking him and felt how thin he was which surprises me because I thought I would've noticed before. But I didn't and I was thinking there must be something else wrong if he's losing weight. He looks the same today but not any more better. I am worried.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
You don't realize how much you love someone until you are faced with their possible death.
Aw, hun...I feel for you. I lost my Smokey last night to complications from FeLV. I just wanted to comment on what you said in the part I quoted. I just hope my Shmoo Boo knew how much he was loved.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aw, hun...I feel for you. I lost my Smokey last night to complications from FeLV. I just wanted to comment on what you said in the part I quoted. I just hope my Shmoo Boo knew how much he was loved.
I bet he did know. Cats are smart.

I see Cubby is worse and I feel worthless. I just force fed him and I feel awful doing it but feel like maybe he's not getting enough then he chokes. Ugh. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts