Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So my roommate and I are both cat lovers who have always had cats in our lives and so decided to get a couple kittens about 6 months ago. For some reason, we are having such a stressfully difficult time getting the male to pee in the litter box. He doesn’t do this all the time, and he always poops in the box, so there doesn’t seem to be any clear concise reason as to why. We have also realized it almost ALWAYS happens on some type of fabric, usually loose in nature (clothing in the hamper, towels on the floor, comforters and blankets, etc.) Neither of us has ever experienced this issue with past cats and we have done EVERYTHING we have read about to resolve the issue but nothing seems to work. We have:

• 3 different types of litter boxes (one closed, 2 open)
• put them in different spots (never near food)
• 2 different types of litter (one fine clumping litter and one large pellet dry litter)
• clean out all 3 regularly (immediately after they use it most times)
• used cat pheromone sprays

Sadly, nothing is working. I say that I’m getting desperate because the house technically belongs to my roommate and he is so fed up with the issue that he is ready to take the cat back to the shelter whereas I personally can’t even fathom that as an option. Not only because I love the little guy or because he is immensely bonded to the other cat, but also because I think it’s incredibly cruel to give a small kitten a loving home for 6 months only to return him once he is almost full grown and with a potty issue, greatly reducing his odds of being adopted by a loving family. It’s really starting to drive a wedge in our friendship and I really don’t want the situation to get any worse... any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
121 Posts
If you have two cats, you need three litter boxes.

Litter boxes should not be enclosed.

When there are more than one cat in the house, it is imperative that the boxes be put in locations (different locations when possible) where the cat using has more than one escape route.

Your cat may not like the feel of the kitty litter.

What you describe is a symptom of developing urinary tract problems.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Get a "cat attractant litter"....I've had success with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. There's also a spray attractant version, but I haven't tried that and don't know if it that successful.

Reactions: 10cats2dogs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a "cat attractant litter"....I've had success with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. There's also a spray attractant version, but I haven't tried that and don't know if it that successful.
Awesome! I will definitely try that! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I agree with Mistwolf, have the little guy checked for a urinary infection!
Also, since your friend is getting upset over the peeing issue, has he ever swatted or yelled at the cat, if he's caught him peeing where he shouldn't?
That can create even more stress for your little guy, and ADD to more stress peeing!
Best Wishes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts