Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he just marked my bed, and my dresser!! since i AM going to get him fixed this week, will he stop it, or will he keep on doing it... This is the first time he did it, i let him out this morning, he came back in, went to the litterbox, and came back upstairs with me, and i saw him mark the side of my bed(i thought he was just standing there until i saw him do the same to my dresser and streak of urin was going down my dresser). So i got out the frebreeze, sprayed about half the bottle on both areas to get the smell semi out so he wont do it again in the same spot... Will this stop once he gets fixed, since he just started doing it??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I let him out again and closely watch him. he went from one side of the yard, rubbing his face almost everwhere and spraying ever 15 or so feet.... i think its time to get him fixed, i hope it will stop this from happening because my landlord said if the hosue smells like cat urin, hes gonna throw me out :cry: :oops:

·
Registered
865 Posts
That sucks - bad timing!

Sometimes (apparently) cats who are neutered after spraying may continue to spray, as they have become accustomed to marking their territory. That's what I've heard anyway. But if you're getting him neutered soon I don't know if that will happen or not.

Although punishing him from doing it indoor may stop him inside. At a previous apartment, my landlards cat (that we cared for for a bit) would spray outside, but not inside.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
spraying

90% of cats stop spraying once they're neutered, but don't let it go on any longer and become a habit!

Also, please consider keeping your cat indoors. It's much safer. We just had a discussion about this, I think you can search for it, if you want to know all the (gory) details why.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just put signs up by my doors that Say dont let the cat out... I really really want him to stop spraying because i DONT want to get throw out of my apartment, it took me weeks to talk the landlord into me keeping the cat, and he said if the place starts to smell, im out.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Febreeze will cover up the urine smell, not remove it. You'll also need a product that effectively removes the urine smell so even your cat can't smell it. One company that carries such products is

www.revivalanimal.com

If you don't find exactly what you need on their website, call them and they will tell you what they recommend. I've ordered from them before.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've had good luck with Nature's Miracle. I soak the place where Sabby's had an accident, then put a fan on it for the rest of the day to quickly dry it. The problem with Nature's Miracle is it always makes it smell much worse before it smells better. But when the spot is gone, it's gone. It even removes the stain (a Godsend when you've got pale carpets). I also put it in a spray bottle and mist everything every once in a while, just to freshen things up. It works on soft surfaces like carpets and furniture, but it also has worked very well on tile, linoleum, and even my wooden screen Sabby marked a couple times (he's in the 10% that didn't stop after he was neutered). I tell ya, I buy that stuff by the gallon! Oh, and it's available at Petsmart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts