Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen stuff about cats getting separation anxiety when their owner leaves, in this case its either when me or my boyfriend leave and one of ours cats would cry around at the door. I seen that there is some pheromone sprays you can use? Would this be something that is recommended to use or should I stay away at all costs? I'm cautious because I'm seen stories where some people use products for other reasons and their animal dies because something toxic in them.

So what I'm getting at is, is there a product that anyone knows thats safe for cats to help them relax in these situations, or methods to help them. We live in a apartment complex and we just moved up one floor, so I understand that they're still in new surroundings. My cat does this even before we moved.

He is our first cat that we've got and yes he is our biggest baby, so I understand why he's getting separation anxiety when we leave. But its not like he's not alone when we're gone, he has his little sister that he snuggles with while we're gone. Kind of worried that our neighbors would make a complaint with his crying when we leave, so if anyone can help me with my big baby I'll be very grateful!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Do you play music while you are in the apt. and then turn it off when you go out? A lot of cats like music and will relax to it.....often old time melodic music from the 50s -60s, but not really loud music. There is some music just for cats......here's one:
I played this while typing and one of my cats just jumped up in front of the computer.....Fitty Pisky seems to be enjoying it. Worth a try....By the way, your boy's a beautiful cat......looks like his color is "black smoke". I used to have one that color. Is his coat white near his skin? All the best!

Reactions: JaeCamp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His fur is white underneath! I've never seen a cat with two tone fur before! I haven't tried music, I've thought about a radio but maybe playing that in background would be better. Thanks! I just want my boy to be okay and not freak out everytike we leave or when one of us leave.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Another thing you can do is leave where he likes to sleep a T-shirt you've worn that needs to be laundered, as it will have your scent on it, and it will make your boy feel more relaxed. Hope some of these suggestions work for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are pheromone drops you can get to help calm and relax cats. I would recommend you go to Home - Jackson Galaxy and read up on Jackson’s recommendations and if you buy any product I would buy it from him for safety reasons. To many over the market products can cause severe side effects. I would also go with trying the music. Do you know how long her cries once you leave? You might setup a video camera to see how long he does it and does he eventually settle down. He may just do it when he knows you are preparing to leave hoping he can convince you to stay and the settle right down when you leave. In that case just ignore him and don’t encourage the behavior. Now if you see he stays stressed out and worried for a long time after you leave then it’s a bigger problem and you do need to address it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts