Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I will be getting my new cat Satin on Saturday, she eats Friskies for cats and my kitten eats Purina for Kittens - my question is, once the transition period is over - how do I keep the kitten food and cat food separate? LoL - impossible to keep them from eating from each others bowls. (the dry food I free feed) So do I have kitten (about 7 months old) eat cat food or have the cat go back to kitten food? HELP please!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If this were my situation, I would feed them 1/2 kitten chow and 1/2 adult chow.

You will get no objection to Purina from me: all my cats ate it and lived long and healthy lives.

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
And the third answer is that I'd pick a chow that was for all life stages, and continue free feeding dry, but to also give a bit of wet (3oz or so) morning and night.

Still practical and affordable, and ensures that they get some moisture in their system just in case they aren't big drinkers. :)

Kittens in particular are like teenagers on steroids when it comes to growth, and it'd be quite a chore to try and provide small meals of wet for their little tummies all throughout the day. Having the dry and a nice fountain always available will ensure that you can pack as much nutrition into them as possible, and overfeeding kittens is never much of a concern.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
A 7 month old kitten will be fine on either a high quality all life stages or adult food. But Friskies and Purina don't fall into the high quality or even mid quality category.

As mentioned by others, including wet will go a long way towards ensuring urinary and kidney health. A cat needs to drink 1.25 cups of water for every cup of kibble consumed to make up for the water they're not getting by eating dry kibble instead of prey (70% water). So monitor water intake....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have added that I do feed wet - twice a day - the dry food is just for in between.

As for the dry - I looked at Petsmart for 'all ages' cat food and the only one I could find that actually said 'for all ages' was the friskies - but I'm not thrilled with that cat food. First ingredient in it is corn.

What do you all consider a 'goood' dry cat food?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can feed a kitten adult food you just have to feed more. I've fed my kitten Evo, Orijen, Wellness CORE to name a few...Blue Buffalo is a good one. Is Petsmart the only place around to shop? Taste of the Wild is another good kibble, downside is they only make fish flavor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts