Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shower, Toby would jump from the bath counter on to the top rail of my shower door, which is about 3 inches wide. This was fine since I love that he wants to be near me.

Yesterday he missed his jump and I guess got quite jolted by his fall. Today as I tried to coax him up there with food (he always is ready for chicken and will follow me around) he backed up and wouldn't even come close.

I'll see how things go tomorrow, but I found it odd that one bad experience really made him shy away.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
Same thing happened with Charlee with my bathroom window at the new place. Failed once, hasn't tried again. She was kind of shook up, falling back into the bathtub, but wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Um! Smart cat, I'd say.

My big lump of fur, Missy, tried twice to jump to my lap but fell off. That was two years ago; she hasn't tried since.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess my main surprise was that he remembered (conditioned)? after only one failed attempt, even though he's been doing it for weeks

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
that's a quick study. i have a fearless freddy who just turned 2 and i really have to watch him sometimes. my south wall is just three huge windows, almost from the floor to the ceiling (and my ceiling is 20 ft. high) and for various stupid reasons i am not allowed to put screens up, so i never open the window more than about an inch.

the other day i turned around just in time to see houdini squeezing back IN from the outside ledge. with the windows being so gigantic i guess they weight them so you can use one finger to lift it up higher, and he just squeezed his nose under it until he got out. there's nothing down there but sidewalk . . . one-way street . . . light rail . . . lol. it's only five floors (which usually = huge vet bill) but i wouldn't bet on him getting another chance. my other two cats will sit in the window, but never showed any interest in getting out there. but this is the one that goes berserk for snow ("get it for me mom!"), thunder and lightning, and miller moths. if i'm asleep and awakened by the blinds banging insanely i know a moth must have gotten in.

one lady's cat did fall once and it didn't die, i'd just rather not have to deal with it. now i keep the windows shut completely unless i intend to stay close by them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
He will forget about this soon. He is a bengal. He has to jump.
My Samantha jumped once from my 2nd floor balcony. Once and never again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

I think your cat is a Bengal right...apparently they like water...

You said that your shower door measures about 3 inches wide, cats are very good at balancing acts, but 3 inches wide dosn't seem very comfy to stand/lounge on...

Maybe if you can put him a shelve up there so he can perch and watch? Something homemade with carpet tacked/glued to it, that way he would no longer fear falling off or 'missing his jump', and he could still enjoy shower time!
As for him being reluctant to use the shelve, I think that when he sees you installing it, he will be curious enough to climb/jump up on his own!

sandyrivers

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, he was fine on the rail. He just missed his jump once. He'll come in the shower and stand built in ledge at the back so the water isn't right in him. Sometimes he'll just go in there and sit, expecting this wondrous water thing to go on, just because he's there. I feel kind of sad since he doesn't meow for it, but just sits there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts