Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im new here but found this site and found it to be amusing and intresting. I have a question regarding cat leashes. I see many of you with pictures of your cats on leashes. Is this possible? I have two cats, brother and sister who are a little over a year old. When they were about 8 months I tried to put them on a leash and they didnt seem to do so well with it. How do you train them to be tame when you go outside with it on? They are strickly indoor cats but they long to go outside. This would make it so much easier. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would say - get harnesses for your cats - and let them get used to it. When they are able to wear them indoors without trying to take them off - try putting a leash on it (when they are not sleepy) - see if they try to struggle - keep trying until they get used to it.

When I took my cats out - it's not like I take them out for walks like dogs. They might walk around a bit - sniff around and then lay down in the grass. Some people might be able to tell you how to get them used to walking with you like a puppy - but I'm not sure. I just brought a blanket with me - and wherever they decided to lay down at - I put down the blanket and sat beside them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We picked up a harness for each of our kittens last week. We put them on for half an hour the first time (indoors) to let them get adjusted to them. They jumped, they squirmed, they crawled on their backs, all to get rid of the harness. At the end of the halfhour they had forgotten all about it and were playing together. The day after we increased the time a bit, they spent about 5 minutes to try to get the harness off, then they ignored it and kept playing. The day after, now sure they wouldn't get out of them, we tooke them out for 20 minutes on a small grass area outside the house.

So the trick is to do little at the time, and get a harness that's "break-out proofed", i.e. it has a strip both on their backs as well as their bellies between the loops around their neck and body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts