Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was just wondering if it is normal for a kitty to lick people. I have a 9 month old and a 6 month old and they both do it. Any insight is appreciated.

Erin, Bella & Horatio

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My Alice is a total licker. We actually named her after Alice from the Resident Evil movies, because she's a "licker", hehe. She's almost a year and a half now, and she licks hands, feet, legs, arms, faces...everything she can reach. I think it's pretty normal, as there's other members with cats that lick them on this forum too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jack loves hair, licks my hands too but if i've been out all day, he assaults my head reminding me i need to go shower.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My male cat Winston is a huge licker. If my hair is dangling he'll lick it. When I brush my teeth he stands on the sink and licks my hair again - almost as if cleaning. Sometimes he seems to find a spot on my hand or arm that he likes and just keeps licking. I usually have to make him stop. Once I fell asleep on the couch when he was licking my wrist. I woke up and he had licked a few layers of skin off and it looks like a brush burn. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Azalia is a licker, too. The other cats are not, however, I know the lick must be pretty special. Egypt bestowed it upon me once and never again...lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I wonder why some cats do and some dont? Boo is VERY kissy, but Simba, unless you are occasionally priviledged enough, he will have no part of it. (well, except that ill still kiss him, hwich he gently tolerates :p lol.) Both of my cats get rediculous amounts of kisses from me. lol. i sitll to this day hope they know what it means.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bertie is a big licker! He licks any part of exposed skin, and loves to groom my dressing gown (it's fluffy). This morning he even started doing that nibbling thing cats do when they groom themselves - I had to stop him cos I didn't want him ingesting dressing gown fluff!
He also loves my hair and chews on it, which I object to. I should have known though, cos he did that the very first time I met him. And sometimes he climbs onto my shoulder and licks my ears while purring loudly in them! I hate that cos it tickles so much, but it is very funny!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Both of my cats get rediculous amounts of kisses from me. lol. i sitll to this day hope they know what it means.
I think they equate it to a type of headbutt, which for them is a show of affection. I say this because when I kiss Egypt atop her head, she just headbutts me and purrs. I headbutt her sometimes too, just to make sure we are on the same page ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hermione only licks my nose or my face if I'm sleeping and she knows I should be up by now. Her system works better than the alarm clock.

The face only happens when I haven't shaven and I've grown stubble, leading me to believe that is due to the salts which collect quicker than when you're clean shaven.

With respect to the nose licking I only know she wants to when she reaches her head out as far as she can, almost like she's telling me to lower my head. When I do she gives it a few and goes about her business after.

This morning she licked my nose so much I thought I was gonna get a rugburn. This is what happens when you keep turning your face in bed so that she can't make you get up by licking your face :p

I've heard conflicting things about why cats lick. I'm sure many cases are due to affection, but I also believe many are due to the salts on our hands. She'll lick my hands to test for tasty salts. haven't had her lick my feet or anything though.

Cats are so neat; they all behave so differently :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts