Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my cats has the habit of when you are rubbing on him he will start to want to bite/nibble on your hand. He doesnt seem to want to be agressive or trying to get me to stop rubbing him. It doesnt matter if hes alseep when you start or if hes awake and ready to play.

He seems to love attention. He stays with me wherever I got.

He is a big aggressive overall though. He has bullied my other cat around enough where she doesnt get the attention that I feel she needs. It is almost impossible to give her any loving alone unless he falls asleep. Sophie (my orginal cat) go to another room so she can get in my lap and get the attention she craves. I activally try to do this when I can but its hard find the new cat murphy asleep especially on days that i work.

If I am not involved they seem to get along ok. They chase each other around some and play fight (not much hissing) they will sleep on the bed somewhat near each other during the day when I am home.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It sounds as if you are getting love bites. I have heard that a cat is the only animal that gives love bites. Of course if he hurts you, you will have to put a stop to it.

I think it's normal for one cat to get jealous if the other gets attention. Perhaps Murphy has not had love for a long time, but I would still pet Sophie, and never give him attention if he bullies her. That's positive reinforcement. On the contrary, that's when I would give Sophie more love.

As long as he doesn't hurt her, let them play when you're not there. They'll get closer and closer. My two have been raised together, sleep curled up together, groom one another, and play. However, if one is getting attention the other wants attention too. I just give the interfering cat a pet and say, "Yes, I love you too." But I don't put down the one on my lap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only when he gets really into the biting does it hurt. Of course then I quit petting him so hopefully he will learn how to control himself.

Murphy seems to love/like sophie. I have caught him grooming sophie sometimes and I have caught him being mean to her. They play a lot and he chases her and vise versa. Soemtimes when they get to play fighting sophie gets to much and she starts to hiss at him. And at some point over the past 4-5 days she got a plug of fur off the back of his neck. I have never seen her groom him but she does smell of him a lot.

I do my best to only give him attention when shes not around. It seems to bother her when I am petting him cause she wont come around. Of course he has no problem getting involved when I am petting on her.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
It might still help to have the cats smell alike. Put a tiny drop of vanilla on the back of each cat's neck. That helps new cats to get used to one another. They feel as if they belong together! :)

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Awww, you're getting love bites, how cute! My cat Sugar loves getting all the attention, sometimes I give Twinkie some more attention by carrying him around the room, he likes it, he probably feels like he doesn't have to exercise and sees the whole apt whizzing by, such a lazy boy!.... :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts