Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sister-in-law who lives in Michigan. When she was down last week she told me something that I could not believe. Apparently where she lives it is illegal to through cat litter away with your trash. She found this fact out shortly after she moved there, and called the city to see what she was supposed to do with it. They had no suggestions. However, the woman that she talked to did unofficially tell her to just hide it in with your trash, since they seldom inspect an individual’s trash.

My sister-in-law told me this story because she thought that I might have a better suggestion (having four cats and all), but I didn’t have a clue.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
flushable litter?

My apartment complex has a rule that says you can't put kitty litter down the garbage chute. I wonder if its because it's illegal to throw it away or it its because they were tired of broken bags of dirty litter.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm worried thats going to become the next big enviromental issue. I've seen the litter mines out in Nevada, pretty wild stuff. What makes throwing it in the trash so bad, beats me. It's mostly clay, with 100% biodegradable, nitrogen and ammonia rich cat poopies for a bonus. I dunno.

Tires and oil are the only things that are hard to hide in the trash. :lol:

(just kidding)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what city is she from? It could be a local ordinance. If it is indeed a state law than almost every cat owner I know (including myself), has been disobeying the law.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No kidding Padunk... I certainly didn't know there was any such law here in MI...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I believe that it is just a local ordinance. It would be pretty hard, I think, to get something like that state wide.

·
Registered
917 Posts
catnip said:
I'm worried thats going to become the next big enviromental issue. I've seen the litter mines out in Nevada, pretty wild stuff. What makes throwing it in the trash so bad, beats me. It's mostly clay, with 100% biodegradable, nitrogen and ammonia rich cat poopies for a bonus. I dunno.

Tires and oil are the only things that are hard to hide in the trash. :lol:

(just kidding)
throwing it in the trash is bad because the clay does not biodegrade, it just hangs out in the landfills. think about all the clay litter people throw out. i think it's something like 2 million tons of litter a year get tossed in the landfills. plus, the clay mines themseves are a walking environmental disaster. except that they don't walk.

thats why i don't use clay ltter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
which do you use?

If you do not use clay, which do you use? Has anybody had any sucess with the flushable kind? I definitely can see why the scoopable kind is bad for the environment. Ever try to clean it off the floor when it is wet (or out of a bathtub? My litter pans are next to the bath, and my cat loves to drag litter in there!).

I'm from Alma, 15 miles south of Mt. Pleasant, and I cannot imagine them making an issue out of it if it is hidden in the trash.

Cheers!
ajrich

·
Registered
917 Posts
i use swheat scoop, it is made out of wheat. there are also litters made out of corn, or wood. personally, i think the wheat and corn ones are good because it's a completely renewable resource, biodegradeable, flushable, and totally safe for kitties.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
captainwookie said:
Mount Pleasant, Michigan. I believe that it is just a local ordinance. It would be pretty hard, I think, to get something like that state wide.
HAHA! I live in Mt. Pleasant! I'd like to know what they'd like us to do with cat litter. I would imagine that if every cat owner flushed their litter, that there would be bigger problem.

I'll see if I can find some more info, I'll pass it on so you can tell your sister-in-law.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Flushable litter. It's the best. Our apartment though says we aren't sposed to use it, but we still do. I do not miss stinky garbage can though.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I can fully appreciate the environmental concerns, but I think I'd sell my gas guzzling SUV before I would worry about my kitties plugging up a landfill. I'm not trying to be crass, just realistic. There is a landfill 10 miles down the road from me where stuff is trucked in from 5 different states and dumped in my backyard cuz they don't want it in 'their' state. I would be happy as **** if it were mostly used litter, but I know better, it's industrial waste that's illegal to dump elsewhere. I don't think improperly disposed of clay litter has ever caused birth defects or cancer, so to me it's a total non-issue.

OK, /end rant :roll:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't understand the concern over clay litter. I understand it's not biodegradeable, but it's a completely natural substance. My garden in Genessee, ID was composed entirely of clay and it didn't hurt anything. The strawberries still grew.

I'm not arguing. I'm really just asking about what the environmental concerns actually are. If it's just that it doesn't biodegrade, I don't see where the problem is. Enlighten me. :)

I'm considering switching over to s'wheat or something flushable. I'm really tired of having to go down four stories and outside to the dumpster to get rid of kitty litter.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Would swheat do okay in my littermaid? Is it dusty? Does it do a good job against odors? (Preferably as good as Tidy Cat Scoop with crystals or whatever..)

I'm not opposed to giving it a try if it meats those criteria.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried s'wheat before. I didn't like it. It formed a nearly impossible to clean gooey mess in the bottom of the box. (Like Cream of Wheat) What I like the best, though I can’t remember its name right now, is a type of cedar litter – it’s almost like dry mulch. Easy to clean and very little odor. Unfortunately, my cats prefer the sand type more.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Annissa said:
I don't understand the concern over clay litter. I understand it's not biodegradeable, but it's a completely natural substance. My garden in Genessee, ID was composed entirely of clay and it didn't hurt anything. The strawberries still grew.

I'm not arguing. I'm really just asking about what the environmental concerns actually are. If it's just that it doesn't biodegrade, I don't see where the problem is. Enlighten me. :)
annissa- the concerns are with the harm caused in mining the clay, and also the litter just causes space issues in landfills. since it doesn't go away, it just fills up dumps till the dump is full and ya gotta make a new one. also, the chemicals in the litter from deodorizers, fragrances, clumping agents, blah blah blah.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts