Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if this is the right place for this or not but I buy Tidy Cats long lasting odor control in the 35lb buckets. What kind of litter does everyone else use and about how much do you spend for the month and for how many cats? I think I go through about 2 of these buckets in a month for 4 cats... Sound normal?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't use clay litter. It has silica dust which damages human and kitty lungs.

I use World's Best Cat Litter. It's a litter made from corn. I use about 1 bag a month of the multiple cat formula. I have 1 cat but multi-cat works better. Without coupons, I can get the 8lb bag for $8.99. However, I can pretty much always get a $5 off coupon for it online which makes it even cheaper. I just recently bought 10 bags with coupons.

74 Posts
I hear so many people rave about this litter, including my sister. Her cats prefer to go outside though really and Leivie starts having litter box issues when I buy it. He was about a year old and I switched to that, he started shitting outside the box lol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tina doesn't really care. I switched her from a clumping clay litter. It smells a bit different but the texture is the same. Some cats don't like it I guess though. There are several other non-clay litters to choose from though. Purina makes a newspaper litter called Yesterday's News. Someone donated a bag to the shelter I volunteer at, it's more like pellets. The cats used it but I don't know how well it would actually work.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dr. Elsey (not cat attract...regular clumping litter in the blue bag)
40-lb bag for between $14 and $17 depending on sales

I also buy World's best when I have coupons. I prefer Elsey, but mix in the World's Best when I get it for cheap.

In my opinion, Dr. Elsey's clumps really well. It has VERY little dust if any at all. When they say 99% dust-free they mean it.

Best of all, regular price is really reasonable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, Technoterra! I could swear you were talking about my cat. Exact same reaction to World's Best and Dr. Elsey's. uncanny!
My other cat doesn't care at all what I give him to use. He even uses pellets without any kind of belly aching and will use the dirtiest litter box. I bet if the litter was completely composed of excrement, he would use it. My other cat is very prissy, the one that is like yours, and doesn't even bury hers, she scratches the side of the litter box instead. I don't know what she thinks that action is going to do for her.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
I tried World's Best. First time ever since having cats I could walk in the house and SMELL that I had cats. Hate it.

I buy Tidy Cat now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My cats won't use pellets and my dogs chow down on worlds best...not talking about eating poops, I pretty much scoop those as they happen, they go into the two boxes they can get to and eat mouthfulls of it. I love Dr. Elseys, cat attract is great if there's an issue going on, but I can only get it at petsmart. For regular use I use Arm and Hammer multi cat or ultra last. I buy 20 lbs at the grocery store for 8.99 but I have a stack of coupons right now for $1.50 off. I use probably 3 or 4 boxes a month for 4 litterboxes, not sure exactly though because sometimes I buy the bigger box. I scoop twice a day and every week I completely change out one litterbox and top off the others as needed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have found that a good compromise is about 3/4 World's Best with 1/4 Fresh Results. Fresh Results is made by Nature's Miracle but exclusively for Walmart. They compliment each other. Great clumping and little odor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We use the Breeze Litter System at my house. Between the pads and the litter, enough for two litter boxes and two cats, it costs maybe $20-$25 each month if I order the refills through Amazon. I love it. No clay, no dust, no tiny bits of litter tracked all around the house... Best litter choice I've ever made.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
We just use the simple Maxxscoop stuff... Joy doesnt seem to like the expensive stuff too much! We tried the Blue litter and she wouldnt go near it...going to try the Worlds Best when she is feeling back to herself! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
This was a great thread to read since we just got our first kitty. I bought him this fancy litter box: Amazon.com: Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Pewter: Pet Supplies It hasn't arrived yet though. Also bought Ever Clean unscented litter to use in it, but he can't use it yet since he just got neutered. Right now he is using a plain old litter box with Yesterday's News. I don't think I like it. He has loose poop right now and the litter is actually handling it pretty well- he buries the poop and I can scoop up the balls of horror- but the smell is terrible. He's supposed to use this litter for the next week so it will be interesting to see if the smell decreases once his tummy feels better. Poop aside, I don't like how it handles pee. The pee sinks down to the bottom of the litter box and makes the pellets down there mushy. How am I supposed to scoop up litter from the bottom of the litter box?! I use this litter for my bunnies' litter boxes and it is absolutely wonderful for them (you don't scoop bunny boxes, just chuck the litter every week), but I won't keep using it for Declan.

A friend of mine has a Tidy Cats Breeze litter box for her cats. I have cat sat for her before and liked it quite a bit. Controlled the odor pretty well and was easy to clean. Liked it so much that a couple of my bunnies actually have that kind of litter box, without the pelleted litter in the top. I am hopeful that Declan will do well with the Omega Paw box, but if he doesn't, I'll just get him a Tidy Cats box. The reason I am not using one to start with is that I'm hoping my husband will help with cat box duties (lol, doodies- sorry) and is much more likely to do that if he doesn't have to scoop or look too much at kitty poop.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just buy whatever's on spesh at the supermarket, but it's usually the 14kg buckets of MaxxScoop Small Spaces.

The only litter we've used that I can't stand is the one at Costco. It's totally barfy. Io likes it just fine, but I hate it.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I've had the exact opposite effect. It's weird how these things vary so much.
Me too. It's been exclusively World's Best for many years now. I can only smell the litter box if someone has peed or pooped and not covered up, and even then only if I walk into the bathroom.

People have been surprised that there's no litter box smell when they come over. But I also scoop like a madwoman, so there's rarely anything in the box when I'm home.

For two kitties, I go through a 14-lb. bag in a month.

·
Banned
603 Posts
I have always used Fresh Step clumping litter. I live in a small apartment with 2 cats and have never had a problem with smell. I've never had a cat over the years that has had a problem using it either.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've used a few kinds of litter... here have been my results so far. :)

Fresh Results - Wal Mart's brand of Nature's Miracle corn litter - it was actually pretty good! I remember being pleasantly surprised. I think I stopped using it because it seemed like I was having to change the entire litter box much more frequently than I did with clay-based litters, so it was getting pricey.

World's Best Cat Litter - the lady at Petsmart swore by this litter... she ranted and raved, so I just had to try it. Maybe I got a bad batch of corn or something, but it was absolutely the WORST experience with litter I've ever had. After one day with 2 cats, it STUNK to high heaven the moment I walked in the door from outside, and the clumps fell apart immediately when I tried to scoop leading to even more of a mess. I threw it out after the first day.

Swheat Scoop - Clumped ok, but the odors were not managed at all.

Tidy Cats - Dusty!! Otherwise, it clumped ok and managed odors fairly well.

Scoop Away - Less Dusty than TC but still pretty dusty - clumped better and smelled better, but I don't know that the heavy perfume-y smell is really what the cats like.

Cat's Pride - I used this for quite a while when I was in college... reason being is that it was cheap and actually did a pretty good job in all aspects. It was a little dusty though.

Special Kitty - did ok for a couple of days, but it didn't clump the pee balls very well and thus would leave some remnants when I tried to scoop, leading to bad odors within a few days even when scooping the box daily.

Arm & Hammer Ultra Last - this stuff is pretty great... It's in my rotation when I get a coupon or it's on sale. :)

Fresh Step Multi-Cat with Carbon Unscented - my favorite by far... it's my go-to cat litter. Clumps great, controls odors, not perfume-y and not as dusty as any of the other clay litters I've tried.

I do want to try Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat scoopable.... I've heard great things about it! I'm just afraid of it being a bust after my eperience with World's Best.

:) Good luck!!
Candace

1 - 20 of 31 Posts