Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope y'all doing well.

I wonder if someone here in the forum have/had a cat living with mycoplasma. My older cat, Felipe, was diagnosed with this disease 4 months ago, where he had clear symptons including lethargy and weakness, he couldn't even climb a chair, and also too swollen lymph kind of thing under his chest, which dissapeared when we started the treatment.

He went under treatment for 45 days and later 15 days more (yes, 60 days) with antibiotics where in the 1st blood test he had very few red blood cells(thats why he had anemia) and the mycoplasma was 3/3 in the blood result. 45 days later it returned as 1/3 where the vet said "Well, it seems its lower now, but its not gone yet" so we did another 15 days of treatment... We finished two weeks ago but I didn't wanted to go asap to the vet due to Felipe in the vet becomes a demon (literally) and we have to sleep him and all that stuff only for 2 blood small drops literally..

Today the results came in and he still has 1/3 mycoplasma in his blood.. Where the vet recommended me to monitor him and not keep medicating him, which is okay for me because I mean I had to give him 60 days straight antibiotics which was stressing for me and for him... He says that if he shows healthy and don't show any sympthon it should be OK... right now is winter here in Argentina so I see he has been sleeping more but well also too its like my brain is already scared of the mycoplasma and sometimes I am afraid to exagerate just because I don't want him to be sick, hes strong so he can climb and stuff so I need to calm, but has anyone had this issue? Vet said too that probably this will remain there but the imnune system is controlling it... Thanks in advance for any story or clue

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello J. I'm sorry to hear that your Felipe has been so sick, and all you've had to go through to help him get better. I wish I could give you advice about his condition but it's not something I'm familiar with. It seems like you and your Vet are right on top of things and hopefully he'll be okay.

My cats turn into Tasmanian Devils too when they have to go to the Vet, so I give them a mild sedative to calm them down. It doesn't knock them out. just relaxes them enough to get them in the carrier and get through the appointment without ripping anybody's face off. I use Greenie's Pill Pockets to give them the med and they swallow the pill without a problem. 2 hours later and off we go!

You're doing a great job taking care of Felipe, so try not to worry too much. If you're anxious, he'll pick up on it and be anxious too. All we can do is the best we can do. Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

Edit: Have you asked the Vet if his condition is contagious to humans?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Misc!! Thanks for your reply and your best wishes. These last 2 days I've been occupied with other stuff so anxiety has gone away lol, no time for that. I will take note of your tip about the mild sedative, i'll talk it with my vet for future visits, if everything goes ok, it should be in 1 year or less. Regarding your question I don't remember now but knowing myself and how much I care for my little ones I am sure I probably asked.. and if the answer was yes I would remember, but anyways when my little kitten has to visit the vet again in 1 month for a next dose of vaccunation, i'll ask him again!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts