Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got two new kittens and one ended up needing surgery. When we got her back from the animal hospital she was sneezing and had a watery eye which cleared up in a couple days. Shortly after that our other kitten got real sick so we took her to the vet and she had an upper respiratory infection. We were given antibiotics and she's fine now. THEN our 14 year old got sick so we gave her the pills. Then our 11 year old got a UTI and now everyone is healthy (the 11 year old finished with her UTI medicine and she's fine now) but now the 11 year old has the upper respiratory infection. She's been on the pills for 6 days (it's 1 pill a day for 12-14 days) and she's definitely losing weight which is why I'm so worried. She's been acting completely normal, still eats and drinks...she still gets on my lap and purrs and makes her little noise when I go to pet her. I can't tell if this is related to the upper respiratory infection or not, she's acting completely fine besides the sneezing! Will she be okay just taking these pills? None of my other cats lost any weight so is this normal for an upper respiratory infection?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
If she's eating normally, there is nothing about a URI or antibiotics that should be making her lose weight. At her age, it would be wise to get a Total T4 blood test run to check her thyroid function. Hyperthyroidism is a common cause of rapid weight loss, esp. in older cats. Of course, many other things can cause weight loss, as well, but if she were my cat, I'd start with the TT4.

Laurie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow to get checked out. Hopefully it's nothing serious

1 - 4 of 4 Posts