Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five year domestic shorthair named Minnie. She is an indoor cat and there are no other pets.

There is an extremely friendly Maine Coon in my neighborhood who will run across the street to say hello and get petted. When I came home from work yesterday I pet the Maine Coon on the way in. When I came into the apartment my cat smelled my hand and absolutly freaked out; growling hissing sptting and screeching. She ran underneath my bed and growled the entire time. If I came close to the bed she would lash out and make lots of noise.

I was home all day today and she has continued to be extremely angry. She will come into my office, hiss and walk away. If I walk into the same room she will growl, hiss and carry on.

I have tried to let her smell my hand showing there is no more scent. I have gotten down low and put my palm up which is non-aggresive, but she still freaks out. Any time she walks by she growls and hisses and then runs away.

She is eating, drinking and using the litterbox fine so she's not sick.

Has anyone ever "cheated" on their cat and had this sort of behavior? How long did it occur?

·
Registered
185 Posts
LOL yes! She probably isn't mad you "cheated" on her but the unfamiliar smell just upset her. I'm not sure why she hasn't calmed down yet. Maybe after you take a shower in the morning. Keep us posted. I will be curious to see if she "forgives" you LOL

On a side note...while it is uncommon to spread feline disease through casual contact you may might to wash right when you get home before petting your kitty. Even healthy LOOKING cats can carry disease :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've showered twice and washed my hands with Lava soap. (Did some engine work today.) So the scent can't be there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
*LOL* That's some possessive cat! My cats don't get jealous, but they do look a bit freaked when I stroke a stray then let them get a whiff of the smell from my hands. They'd give me the look like "Who's this you've been touching??!"

That cat of yours may have a crush on you heh... Toffee (my siamese) used to have a crush on my Dad. Every night she would massage his tummy, kneading it like she would a mother cat, and give him kisses before she went to bed. However one day she did something to anger my Mom who later complained to my father, and all he did was laugh. Then all of a sudden, they noticed Toffee watching them, like she'd overheard everything and she had that kinda betrayed look on her face. That night, not only did she not massage my father, she went over, gave him a slap, then left promptly. And she wouldn't respond to his strokes like she usually would. Maybe we were just paranoid, but it sure seemed like she was upset with him for not defending her.

So I really don't know what advise to give you to gain back your cat's trust. Maybe treat her the way you'd treat a cheated girlfriend?? :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your jealous kitty, but this is kind of funny to read. :lol:
I hope you get things worked out between you and your fur friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts