Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what's happened to my little guy in the last couple of days, but it does have me worried.

Just upfront, we did get a dog about 3 months ago, and baring the first few days we had her (the dog) Bowie and she have gotten along pretty well. They spar now and then but it's never anything real, far as I can tell, and always gets broken up pretty fast if one of them plays too rough (the dog).

Anyways, a few days ago, I noticed that Bowie was spending a lot more of his time inside the blinds laying in the Sun. It's been pretty nice, so I didn't think anything of it, since that's his favorite spot. Then one day, I noticed his tail was swishing kind of funny and I said something to my husband about it. He then said he'd noticed that Bowie seemed depressed lately.

I don't know how I missed it, but he's right. All he's been doing in the last few days is sleeping. He hasn't been grooming himself well either. He's eating and using his litter box properly, but he seems to have next to no energy.

I have no idea if or how the tail twitch/swishing adds in, but that's alarming me too. I observed him today doing it. It seemed like he was trying to swish it like normal, but it just wouldn't work, and began twitching rather sporadically instead.

Is there any advice on how to get him out of the funk? Or do you think there's something wrong with his tail and that's what's the matter?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I would suggest bringing him to a vet first. The loss of energy and tail twitch could be indications of physical illness. The tail thing worries me especially, could be related to neurological problems. Once you rule out all physical issues, then you can dig into mental.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Cat might be in pain, rather than depressed. Cats in pain will tend to crouch and not be active, and as you observe do not groom themselves and lack energy. The swishing of the tail and twitching sounds to me like the tail has had an injury. Any chance the dog crunched down on it? A vet visit is in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I hope it is, rather than neurological. I know the dog has a bad tendency of playing with his tail, and if it's pain, that can be dealt with.

Like I said, I observed him attempting to swish it all the way and it just kind of stops halfway and starts jerking back and forth instead.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have to agree with the vet thing.

I learned recently that a cat injured doesn't scream and cry like we would expect. They are extremely quiet and find a nice place to hide. This is due to not wanting to alert predators in the wild.

Did you do a really good once over inspection of him? Brownie might have gotten too rough and left a nail or tooth mark on him. Those things are hard to find with furry critters.

I have seen nails left in dogs a lot. When they play it can get dislodged in the skin.

But for sure to him in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, pretty much, we dropped $38 on the vet for nothing :lol:. Bowie's fine. The vet thinks he may have taken a tumble or something similar at some point when in the midst of some acrobatics (or who knows, maybe just rough housing too much with the dog) and he was in pain. Pretty much as soon as we got home from the vet he was suddenly close to back to normal. This was yesterday. Today he's talking again and purring and jumping on furniture, so I think we can safely move on with our lives :D.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Well good. :) I tend to be a worry wart and head to the vet whenever I suspect something is off. I figure it's worth a few bucks for peace of mind and to make sure he's never hurt or suffering. :wink

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Glad to hear he's back to normal.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Glad to know he is doing well now :D Then it could be muscle pain or joint twisted or so.
I had a cat years ago that twisted his ankle and could only walk on 3 legs. We were so freaked out thinking he broke is bone somehow. That was about 100 dollars for emergency and x-ray for nothing. But we were glad it was nothing :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts