Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Riot some kitty nip the other day until my friend told me that it isnt safe to give to kittens under 6 months. Is this true? if so why? and what age is ok to give them the kitty nip at?

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I don't think it's dangerous for kittens under six months, I've read here that usually cats that young simply don't react to it until they're about six months old.

How did Riot act?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried this about a week ago. I put it on his toy and I dont think he reacted to it like my other did. I read that sometimes they dont react to it right away being young. But it had me wondering as the scratching post I just bought him is scented with kitty nip. I have caught him on it a few times already and using his nails on my couch less.

He gets massive cases of zoomies and had one right after sniffing it, but I am unsure if it was the cat nip or just one of those bouts of energy which he is having right now on a paper bag...

What about that cat grass you can grow yourself. When I get his tummy issues worked out is that safe to let a kitten munch on sparingly?

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I bought a little cat grass kit, and put it away so the twins wouldn't destroy it. I keep forgetting to grow it for them. oops. Still in my cupboard.

I just went and looked at the package. There are no warnings about age at all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I used to have one for the other kitty but she wouldnt touch it. The dog ate it tho. So maybe for Christmas I will include on in his stocking. I also have those honey suckle wood thingies. The pet store told me to wet it a bit and it would bring out the scent and make the cats go bonkers..kinda like cat nip I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I've never heard of those, I'll have to go online and check them out. I'll start the cat grass a few days before Christmas so they can have a nice surprise.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my other one LOVED the honey suckle. If your cats are chewers it may be better to put the wood in a protective baggie. Mine never bother to eat it. There is also a spray you can buy as well.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah I researched catnip very thoroughly before buying any for my cats (I can occasionally be a little over-paranoid) and it shouldn't have any harmful effect to kittens under 6 months. As Marie said they just don't react to it the same way adult cats do.

My 8-month cat loved his catnip toy when we first got it. He'd rub it all over his face. Our 4-month kitten has no interest in it beyond just batting around the toy like any other, and it's definitely not harmed her in any way.

So don't worry, the catnip should be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I remember the time I came home to see a little orange blur of light streaking thru my apartment. It stopped for a second revealed itself as Percy (he was a kitten),then,zoom!,zip!,zap! I THOUGHT I'd put the catnip out of reach,on a high shelf. Well, he'd climbed a chair (my theory) and knocked the bag down. This was garden-grown stuff. Eventually,he vaulted onto the bed,and conked out.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Cleo is my catnipaholic. I walked into my kitchen one morning and thought there was dirt all over the place. Counters, floors, everywhere. Upon opening my eyes all the way, I discovered she had found a bag of catnip and it was EVERYWHERE.

It took me 30 minutes to get Cleo off the ceiling.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Cleo is my catnipaholic. I walked into my kitchen one morning and thought there was dirt all over the place. Counters, floors, everywhere. Upon opening my eyes all the way, I discovered she had found a bag of catnip and it was EVERYWHERE.

It took me 30 minutes to get Cleo off the ceiling.
I can leave bags of food on the counter and the girls won't bother with them. I can even leave bags of treats out and they won't get into them. But the catnip must be kept under wraps at all times!

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
When I took out the little cat grass kit to see if there were any age warnings, the twins were all over it. I wonder why, there's no catnip. Something about it set them off, trying to get into it.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Best catnip toys ever...solid catnip, no stuffing.

Yeowww! Catnip Products

My crew loves the bananas, they grab one end with the front paws and mouth and rabbit kick the other end with their back feet...hysterical. A friend bought a bag of their loose catnip and forgot it was in her shopping bag. She left it on the kitchen counter...during the night her cats actually chewed through the cloth bag to get at the nip.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Unbelievable. I just looked around and saw all three cats intently bent over around something. It was a 5-pack of catnip refills I didn't even know I had. Must have fallen out when I put the cat grass back in the cupboard. I sprinkled the one they tore open in the living room and they're rolling around in it.

I'll have to check those out, Lisa, I know you've mentioned the banana one before. My refillable little things have the stuffing. What a mess.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Best catnip toys ever...solid catnip, no stuffing.

Yeowww! Catnip Products

My crew loves the bananas, they grab one end with the front paws and mouth and rabbit kick the other end with their back feet...hysterical.
I have the Yeowww bananas. My girls love them and they do exactly the same thing, when they're not rolling around in ecstasy holding onto them.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Also the TYPE of catnip you give is a factor. Garden-grown is, imo, the best. The PROBLEM is crop yield once the neighborhood cats catch a whiff. There's excellent store-bought brands. Check the package. If it says something like 'send kitty to CLOUD 9!!!!' this leads me to believe that it contains additives that kitty can do very well without,thank you. The purpose of catnip is to provide MILD,TEMPORARY stimulation.

TIP! Catnip has a relaxing effect on humans!

TIP 2 a catnip toy makes a nice 1st Christmas present.

74 Posts
I make my own cat nip toys as well as buying some... I also have some cat grass (which I do believe is actually from oat seeds?). This is my "conclusion".

Ingga is somewhere between 8 and 10 years old and she loves the cat nip more than any other cat in the house and I know for sure shes never messed with the grass.

Leivie is 2 and he also digs the cat nip but loves the cat grass as well.

Princess is between 1 and 3 years old and perfers cat nip over cat grass but hardly touches either.

Midnight is a little over a year old and he doesnt touch either but FYI I think he might be retarded.

Freckles is the youngest (not even a year old yet) and she doesnt mess with cat nip at all but loves the grass more than any other cat.

Sooo, it must mean that younger cats do not react to cat nip and seniors are laying in the bedroom passed out from it right now LOL! poor Ingga Bings, shes to old to get that high.....

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I've been growing my own catnip for 25 years, starting with seeds from a wild catmint plant I found growing along a farm fencerow. I swear it is the strongest, most potent 'nip anywhere! The soil here has a lot of clay and is somewhat acidic, contributing to the potency, too. My lucky (?) cats can get high whenever they want, from plants growing in the summer/fall, dried stash in their barn, and toys I've made stuffed with pure 'nip. (Yowza, that reminds me, I haven't stripped and bagged the dried plants yet....) The catnip I bag is leaves and flowers only, not a bit of stem; stem is basically filler and the best 'nip has no stem pieces or crushed stem. Dark, green color is usually a sign of good store-bought stuff.

Reaction to catnip is genetically controlled. A small percentage of cats show little or no interest in the weed. Most of mine go absolutely bonkers, though. Several will get pretty feisty, and a few will just lie around watching the ceiling change colors.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Some cats never respond to cat nip, it is supposedly a genetic trait, though I have also read that exposing it to kittens too young will predispose them to not responding to it at all.

I waited until my kitten was 6 months old, anyway and she seems to like it, but it doesn't make her any zoomier than she already is.

As for cat grass, when one of my cats was about one year old I grew some cat grass for them, and she got a piece stuck in her throat. It cut her throat up pretty bad, she had to have antibiotics (to guard against infection) and pain meds (so she could eat) so no more cat grass in this house.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts