Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 8yr male cat I rarely ever see drinking water. I put water bowls out in the kitchen (not by his food bowl as I know they should be kept separate) and living room (where they spend most of their time), and he rarely ever drank so I've recently bought a popular water fountain but he's shown no interest. They are both outdoor cats (my female cat does drink from her bowls though not as regularly as I'd like either), but I've rarely seen him drinking from bowls inside, only drank from an outside bowl I tried before in the past. I've started filling a bowl in the garden again, haven't seen him using it but possibly he is- could there be a reason why he only likes drinking outside?

He possibly could drink from his kitchen bowl at night otherwise, but I've never seen him. I'm also concerned because they have a mixed wet/dry diet but he eats more dried as he loves that, so I know he needs more water to compensate. In the past when it was very hot he had a brief spell of drinking from the living room bowl, but that seems to have stopped and I'm worried for when the weather heats up again soon. He also had a spell last year drinking from our little outside water fountain, but again I haven't seen that this year.

As they are outdoor cats there's no way to see by how much urine he's producing either. Is it just a case of putting different bowls in different locations and keeping an eye on him to see which if any he's using? It seems like he only drinks when he has to when it's very hot, and then he still is picky- I'd try anything to see him drinking more.

Oh and he also likes licking me sometimes and usually has quite a rough dry tongue when doing so :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cats aren't inclined to drink like dogs are. Their diet should provide most of their daily moisture. Soak the kibble you feed and give wet food.
They may also be getting their water from elsewhere.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
When you feed wet food, mix a bit of water with it first, a tablespoonfull or so. Like a thick chunky soup. ;) It may take a bit for him to get used to that, but if you start with very little extra water added, it should work out ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try that idea of adding a little water to food, thanks. Will start with just a little as otherwise it could put them off their food by reducing its scent.

So it's common for cats to rarely drink? My cats have in the past, oh well. I'll keep refilling his outside bowl too just in case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I just had a discussion with my vet about the very same thing and she told me that if you feed them canned food they get their water intake thru that. My cats don't drink water either.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
With boy cats you really need to pay attention because they are more prone to UTI troubles which can quickly go bad. So add your tablespoons of water to the canned food, just in case, just for safety. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts