Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I adopted a cat (no idea what bred he is) about 5 months ago. I've never owed a cat before, I was told he was about 8 months old. He doesn't seem to have grown much in past few months he seems skinny. When I first got him I brought him to the vet to get shots and a general over look and everything was good. He eats twice a day, he's very active. I assumed he'd be fully grown by now. He also doesn't seem to drink alot of water. Should I be concerned? Any advice?

Thanks in advance ☺

Head Eye Cat Carnivore Felidae

·
Registered
981 Posts
Cats do not in general tend to drink a lot of water, so it is important to make sure your cat is getting enough hydration in his food. Canned food is better by far for cats than dry kibble. I feed canned food to my cat and I always mix it with water to give him extra. I buy the "pate" kind rather than the "stew" kind, with which you are mostly paying for water. I break up the pate into chunks and add water (warm in the winter) to make a kind of stew.

As for size, if he checks out healthy at the vet, he may just be a small cat. Many cats are small, but in my experience small cats are often mighty!

·
Registered
Sam, domestic short-hair
10 Posts
Our cat didn't like drinking water much except from very specific places - namely the glass of water off my husband's bedside table. Then he developed crystals, which we caught early. We switched to urinary food, then regular wet food with a bit of dry here and there for his teeth. He's been fine ever since. We also mix a few teaspoons of water in with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your advice guys. He was on dry food when I got him but he didn't seem to eat it so I changed to wet food and he eats all of it now. That's a good idea too to add some extra water to his food I'm going to start doing that. I appreciate both your advice.

·
Registered
981 Posts
with a bit of dry here and there for his teeth.
I just want to point out that dry food is no better for a cat's teeth than wet food is. It doesn't keep the cat's teeth clean any more than eating toast or crackers would for human beings. Not saying dry food is all bad....my cat gets some....but just that it doesn't do anything positive for a cat's teeth. It can, in fact, build up more on the teeth and be more likely to cause the build up of plaque.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My cat drinks more water when I put an ice cube in his bowl once or twice a day. (Also cleaning the bowl daily). If I try to add water to his pate or stew he won't eat it. CATS are really all individuals, so what works for doesn't always work for another.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I only use dry food for occasional treats during training, but on the advice of my cats' dentist, give them dental treats every day, which she says helps to control tartar build-up. My girls like Purina Dentalife Oral Treats for Cats, but other brands will do, like Greenies Dental Treats for Cats etc, as long as they're VOHC approved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts