Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - when my cat was an "only cat," he used to meet me at the door when I came home and meow up a storm at me. Now, since I got a new kitten, he still greets me when I come in, but he doesn't meow like he used to. Is that a bad sign - that he's angry at me for bringing in the newcomer - or a good sign - that he wasn't lonely all day and has nothing to 'complain' about? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
If he and the kitten are getting along, it likely means that he's happy. He is no longer desperate for attention because he has been alone all day :) Franklin was the same way. Before Franny came home he would carry on like the world was going to end, when I got home at night. Now they both greet me at the door and there is a lot less urgency :)

·
Banned
470 Posts
^ Speaks truth.

Probably meant kitty might have even been meowing for you off and on the whole time you were gone. Glad he isn't so lonely now. :)

·
Banned
14 Posts
Cats don't meow to each other. They meow to us, I've heard, as they meow to their mothers. So if he has observed the other cat getting attention and food without meowing, he probably learned not to meow.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I don't think he's mad at you for having another kitty. He's less lonely and not as needy, but feel honored that he's still coming to greet you at the door, that means he's happy to see you! Make a fuss over him and thank him.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meowing/not meowing when I come home

I don't think he's mad at you for having another kitty. He's less lonely and not as needy, but feel honored that he's still coming to greet you at the door, that means he's happy to see you! Make a fuss over him and thank him.
Yes, good advice, thanks. I do try to fuss over both my cats when I come home, whether they meow at me or not.... the kitten is meowing at me when I come in, but it doesn't seem to be a "needy" meow - more of a welcoming one. The older cat did meow at me like old times on Friday, after I'd worked both my jobs and been away all day and all night... so I think it IS neediness that always caused him to meow, and his not always meowing at me anymore is a sign of less neediness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts