Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm not going to lie, I loved Samantha more then Chiquita and probably always will.
But she gone now and it's just me and Chiquita, 12 year old former stray my ex tamed and then left behind when she departed.
She's been a great comfort to me.
How many of you out there have had a cat that was a long time member of a multi cat household blossom once they were the only cat in the house.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My mom's cat is 18 and acts more like a kitten now then ever. It started when her sister died and she became an only cat. We figure she just needed to be an only cat, because she was never wanting for attention, all of our cats were loved equally as a kid.

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Samantha and Chiquita were never buddies, I didn't know about how to properly introduce a new cat to the family 12 years ago.
Even though Samantha was twice her size Chiquita laid a case of redirected aggression on her when she saw another cat through the window and Samantha never forgot or forgave that, especially since it has happened repeatedly over the years.
When this would happen I'd open the door to the garage and shoo Chiquita out for a several hour time out.
Most of the time there was no fighting but also no playing or mutual grooming between the 2 at bed time Samantha would be on my right and Chiquita on my left.
If Samantha felt Chiquita was getting too much attention she'd chase her off the bed.
Now that Samantha's gone Chiquita spends a lot of time on the arm of my chair, she was never a lap cat, she visits me several times during the night, I tell her to go back to bed and as soon as she hears that I'm awake in the mourning she's there for her mourning pets.
I know some cats thrive with kitty friends in a multi cat house hold and other cats want and need to be an only child.
I wonder if there's an easy way to tell the difference besides trial and error.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you think cats are still happy living in these kind of situations? My boyfriends mother has had a cat named Kitty for about 3 years and recently let in a young stray (whom she named Romeo - and no worries, hes been to the vet/leukemia tested, shots, etc). Kitty is notoriously... rude. she likes to be pet sometimes, but a lot of times if you go to pet her she just tries to fight you and cries. With Romeo in the house, I think hes trying to be playful, but I dont think kitty understands. He'll chase her around and she'll growl and hiss excessively (she's always been a 5 times a day hisser. I once called her name gently across the room and she looked at me and hissed O_O ) On occasion I'll see her chasing him, and sometimes theyll sleep on the same tier of the cat tower, but only after a half hour long stare down and lots of angry tail twitches. I really can't tell if theyre having fun or having a melt down :/ Kitty LOVES the German shepherd though (only one shes ever shown real affection to.) that's another thing. The dog is 12, and while I hate to admit it, he's not going to live forever, I have no idea what she'll do when he goes.

Sorry for the ramble, your post just got me thinking :) Hopefully Kitty can find peace instead of waiting around for Romeo to kick the bucket. Maybe she just likes being grumpy?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had Madi for about 6 months before I decided he needed a brother, Riley. Same mom, different pop. Madi and Riley seemed to get along, although Madi did have his nose out of joint for quite a while and he stopped being my husband's cat and became my cat when Riley joined our household.

Riley died in December 2009, Madi in July 2011. I expected Madi to mourn Riley, as most cats did. Instead, he thrived. It was quite clear that he liked being an only cat and that he liked not having to share anyone with anything. He did not go through the traditional morning (crying, looking for the other cat, etc). Instead, he became super affectionate and acted more like a kitten than he had in years despite his advanced age.

I swear if I could read his thoughts, they were, "Finally I have my people all to myself again."

My mother's cat on the other hand was practically inconsolable when he lost his brother. He cried pitiful, loud howls for probably 3-4 months. They were so crazy loud that she recorded them as no one would believe her. It was heartbreaking, but he did eventually get over it.

So I guess every cat and every relationship is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts