Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so kitties don't do well without the proper amount of protein, i was wondering and had a few questions about their nutrition...

so milk isn't that good for cats because most cats are lactose intolerant...

would lactose-free milk be fine for them? i have easy access to lactose free milk and would it help my kitties if i gave them some every once in a while?

also, what about whey protein without lactose? Whey protein isolate has no lactose and there is also soy protein.. would mixing a little bit of this into the milk help the cat any?

again, this would be only to supplement the kitty's diet a little

someone who knows a lot about cat nutrition please help :)

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Cats have no need for milk in their diet. If you want to give them some lactose free milk as a treat once or twice a week that's fine. But there's no extra benefit to be gained by adding milk to their diet.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The best way to feed your cat is with as close to a species-appropriate diet as possible. As obligate carnivores, adult cats have no need for either dairy or whey products in their diets. Moreover, dairy products are very high in phosphorus, which can cause major problems for cats with any degree of renal insufficiency (typically older cats).

If you want to provide high quality, species-appropriate protein for your cat, stick with meat.

Laurie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I am sticking to meat, I just bought a bunch of chicken hearts to supplement their diet with..

like i said i am pinched on money and havent been able to make the swap from dry food to all wet food, so im trying to supplement their diet with some wet food every now and again and some meat / chicken / egg

however i was wondering if i could give them milk once a week to twice a week tops, if its lactose free and its not a common staple of their diet it shouldnt affect them right? and the protein from the milk will do them good.

My second question on the protein would be if they would benefit from added protein to it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts