Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest cat has licked a patch of fur off of her back right leg. I looked at the patch and nothing seems to be wrong, but she won't stop licking it. How do I stop this from becoming an issue?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Has the vet ruled out fungus? Princess had the same problem, and it disappeared already with the first pill.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Has anything happened in her environment that may have upset her? Could be many things: new furniture, change in your schedule, new addition to your home (partner, visitors staying over, new animal), new cats outside, change of food or cleaning products, fleas, contact with strange cats or dogs. It could be an allergy or it may be behavioral, but it continues have her checked by your vet. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
allergies are big right now where Im from in the desert. Doesnt sound like ringworm. Sometimes cats over groom themselves in a certain area to comfort themselves when they are stressed. My cat does it on his tummy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anything happened in her environment that may have upset her? Could be many things: new furniture, change in your schedule, new addition to your home (partner, visitors staying over, new animal), new cats outside, change of food or cleaning products, fleas, contact with strange cats or dogs. It could be an allergy or it may be behavioral, but it continues have her checked by your vet. Good luck!
We just got a little dog, but if it's stress related, then this is the only thing showing the stress. She's as playful and cuddly as always.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Could be the dog....maybe she's just not too sure about it and overgrooming is often done to relieve some anxiety or stress. It may go away as she gets more used to the dog, or it could become habitual.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My cat does the same thing, except licks the fur off her lower belly and the insides of her back legs. She started doing it after our other cat died and then a month later my mom got sick and was in the hospital for 2 months. So we think it was because two major changes happened one right after the other. It might have become just a habit now, because she's still doing it and it's been almost 8 months since my mom came home from the hospital.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I remember one of my cats did the same thing....bald inside of hind legs and a bald belly. In her case it was because I had too many cats at the time. When I was down to 4 cats from 8, she did it less and less, and when she got old and was sleeping a lot a year before she died at 17-1/2 yrs. she had ceased to do it, and had her belly and leg coat back. So over-groomingt may not be forever.

·
Banned
603 Posts
My cat Autumn that I had several years ago licked her back leg excessively too and had a big patch of hair missing. She never got an infection though. It went on for so long that I finally took her to the vet and he put her on prozac. Soon after starting it she stpped her incesstant licking and eventually her hair grew back.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Stretch did this and the vet said it was a food allergy. Did a lot of experimenting with different foods. Allergic to grains. So he is now grainless. and no more fur mowing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My cat Felicity created a bald patch on her flank within days. What happened was two adult cats came & the original resident died from the ensuing stroke(I was too ignorant & had never heard of introduction). My vet told me to spay Felicity so she wouldn't have to fight for her alpha cat status. She was spayed a fortnight ago & now she is more relaxed & her hair is growing back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts