Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and have 2 cats both 7yrs of age.
One of the cats is urinating and pooping near the litter box, right in front of it...luckily I have tile floors :lol: . Since I have 2 cats I havent been able to determine which one it is. I have 2 litter boxes one covered and the other I have to use a special litter which has helped abit to control the problem. I clean both boxes daily. I think its the less aggressive of the two, she gets her daily routine of beatings by the other cat.
Anyway, I think its her. Is this a psychological or medical problem?? My vet hasent given me a clear answer on this either. This has been going on for over a year now, sometimes its more frequent than others but lately its been every other day. :x

Please help.
M

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Since she's doing both urinating and defacating infront of the box, I would say it is behavioural. Just in case, however, have you got her checked for UTI by the vet? I think it would help to remove the lid off the one box (then the cat doesn't fear ambush by the aggressive cat). Also, I would add another box in a different location. When you have litter box problems, it's a good rule to have one box for every cat + one. I think this is probably related to fear of the aggressor cat, but that is just a guess. You will also need to clean with an enzyme cleaner, such a Nature's Miracle. There may be some residual odours left on the tile that can not be removed by soap and water alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will remove the cover on the one first. Second I will add another box in a bathroom. The challenge will be to teain the aggressive cat not to use this other box and encourage the timid cat to use it. I have noticed the aggressive cat laying in a alert mode in front of the laundry room where the boxes are. So based on your reply, maybe he just dosent want her to use HIS boxes.
We had the aggressive cat first since being a kitten then brought/rescued in the timid cat a couple years later.

M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts