Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment, on the third floor. If I let Tony go out on the balcony do you think he'd jump? Surely there must be other cat owners/apartments dwellers like me, what do you do? I'd like to let him go outside but I don't want him to fall!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't let him go onto the balcony!!!

I used to live on the 13th floor, and have lost 2 precious cats who slipped out the window. The first one we allowed to stand on the window sill, but when she slipped, I made it very very clear to the other that he should not stand on the sill. But being defiant, he would sometimes still do so, not realising the danger. Everytime I caught him on the sill, I would get nightmares about him falling. I wanted to install grills but my parents didn't want to feel caged up, I don't blame them. But shortly later, the 2nd cat slipped off the window. It was very very painful for our family, and I still blame myself partially for their deaths 'cos sometimes I wonder if I'd locked them up in rooms they'd still be alive, but I guess it really wouldn't be a life worth living for huh? Freedom can sometimes be a scary thing.

I'm now married and live on the 10th floor. I've made sure I've installed grills, and am very stern about them keeping away from the windows. Hopefully it will work out fine for the two who remain. So my advise to you is if you had the choice, keep your kitty away from the balcony. Oh btw, a friend of mine had a cat who fell off 3rd floor. Didn't die but was dazed for a few days. Still not a good thing to have happen to a kitty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you think that he might jump? It's quite a large balcony, and he couldn't sit on the railing, he'd have to make an effort to jump off, you still think that he might decide to do just that?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I live on the second floor with a balcony, there's a big tree with tons of birds within "jumping distance" of my deck. In the rare event that I do let them out there with me, they're wearing a leash and harness.

Be very careful, you never know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JeanLucPicard said:
so you think that he might jump? It's quite a large balcony, and he couldn't sit on the railing, he'd have to make an effort to jump off, you still think that he might decide to do just that?
Don't underestimate the leaping power of a cat *lol* There's a high chance he'd try to leap over that railing.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I think that if Tony saw a bird or a squirrel he might forget himself and pounce and consequently fall. I even fear for my own cat being on the balcony even though he's deathly afraid of heights. We also have hawks in this area who wouldn't think twice about attacking a kitten. Maybe you could install some chicken wire to keep Tony in and the predators out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My cat can get out of my first floor windw, walk across a sloped piece of 'roof' on top of our ground floor extension below, its safe because if she slipped she'd just skid down the roof & land in the gutter (lol) but I certainly wouldnt let her out of that window if there wasnt a roof below it...even as low as the first floor!

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I move, I will have two balconies and I would love to find a way to "screen in" at least one of them so my kitties can go out there. I'll have to look into it though because doing that might be against the condo association by-laws. I definitely won't be letting them out there without that.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I live on the 6th floor and we have a big balcony. I was thinking about the same thing...would they jump? I'm thinking to train them using leash and maybe take them there. My husband took Yoda there (he was holding her tight) and he said she was scared. So he took her back.

I"m always afraid when I go on the balcony that they would escape (when Im opening the door). :( When we are on the balcony they are meowing and watching us through the window. They must be thinking how come we are there and they are not? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
balcony jumping

I think it is always wise to watch a cat closely while on a balcony, especially between the 3rd and 7th floors (the height from which a fall is most likely to hurt a cat), but it is not out of the question to take them onto the balcony. My 1 1/2 year old cat loves it. She sits quietly and breathes the fresh air. It is important, though, that I watch her. She never goes out without a leash (even if most of the time I don't hold it). I also take her out because she listens to me really well now, and won't jump if I call to her. My kitten is another matter. I don't take her onto the balcony without holding on to her all of the time. She is walking on a leash in the yard, though, so she gets her fresh air. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bubba LOVES the balcony!

We live on a second floor apartment (used to be third floor) and Bubba has always gone out on the balcony. In fact, he loves it! It's his own little place, the one place the dog can't go. Keep in mind we have a fenced guard rail that goes all the way around the balcony and the rails are too close together for him to squeeze through, except his head. I also see lots of other cats in my complex out on their balconies. Bubba is also 7 years old so perhaps his drive to escape isn't what it used to be. I will also keep a good eye on him when he is out here. Like someone else, we back up a large forest area with lots of trees and consequently, birds, so I do watch him and tap on the glass or poke my head out the door when I see him getting too excited. I think it just depends on how your balcony is structured and your cat's personality. If he/she has a propensity to get excited and there is a possibility of jumping or falling I might advise against it. You can always test it out for a few days and just watch him CONSTANTLY and if he seems ok begin watching less and less, but always keep an eye out.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally, balconies make me nervous and I don't let my kitty on mine. I also live on the second floor, but there are lots of interesting trees and birds and things to capture his attention. The railing is quite high, but I know for a fact that my cat could leap onto it if he was even moderately motivated.

Watching a cat on a balcony is a must, but I'm not sure it will really help if he decides to dart away or jump. Personally, I don't trust myself to have quick enough reflexes to stop him if he suddenly should get excited and jump.

I have another reason, too, which is that he is purely an indoor cat and I'm afraid if he gets too much experience outside, he'll start to feel entitled to more of it - know what I mean?

He's allowed to sit in front of the screen door, and he seems very content to do just that. He can smell things and see things and he doesn't try to claw or push at the screen.

All that being said, I wish I could let him out to explore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a good cat/balcony story - amazing, but true. I was there to see it.

My college roomie had three kitties while she and her husband were living on the 12th floor of an apartment building. They weren't supposed to be on the balcony but they were always scratching at the screen and trying to get out there.

One day she called me in hysterics because she couldn't find the youngest, a little black cat named Twizzler. She hadn't left the apartment all day but there was a small hole in the screen door. She was terrified that the cat had fallen.

Her husband came home from work and we all searched. It only took a few minutes for her husband to find Twizzler, terrified and hiding under a bush, on the ground almost directly beneath their balcony. We are quite sure that she fell from their balcony, but to this day we have no idea how she survived.

Twizzler was, of course, rushed to the vet, and other than a few broken ribs, suffered very little physical damage. She was, however, never quite the same open, affectionate, curious cat she had once been - she's now very cautious and anxious. It's been five years, and they live in a house now, but for the duration of their lease you better believe the balcony door stayed shut and latched.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It seems to me that there is no chance for a kitty to jump from a balcony, if the kitty never has the opportunity to be on the balcony. Of course that would be my own, personal and not-so-humble opinion. :wink:

Angel has sat and looked out my balcony door for almost over four months. Last week, I put the screen insert in the storm door and opened the inside door for the first time this Spring. It terrified her, but after nearly two hours, she squeezed between the door and the wall and took up her usual place, looking through the door into the rest of the room. I was in tears I laughed so hard.
I sure do love my kitty! ::))

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live on the 3rd floor with two cats, and I have secured the balcony. You can see both why and how on the photos. Both cats love to be out there especially when it is dusk. They are indoor cats, and the sight of a bumble bee on the balcony really makes their day!

This is Ronja, my Norwegian Forest Cat tortie girl

·
Registered
36 Posts
i live in the 3rd floor of an apt and my cat actually gets scared when he looks over teh edge..but i guess thats my cat.. every cat has its own personality..:p

·
Registered
175 Posts
ci, im verry sorry about your cats, it hurts me to just think about stuff like that. But i have to ask, why did you just keep the window closed?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts