Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a calico cat, three years old, whom I rescued from the animal shelter about nine months ago. She's an indoor-outdoor cat who sleeps on my feet at night and who has actually followed me around the block a few times. She likes car trips, but we've never done anything long. Here's my question: can one take a cat on vacation? She is such a curious and friendly cat, that I can imagine she would be happier going somewhere new with me than having to stay with friends. I live alone, so there's no chance of me leaving her here. In any case, I will be going for a cure (post-cancer) in August and I will take her with me there, since I may. But I'm thinking of something else....a little sea-side trip perhaps. I've never tried this with a cat before, but, on the other hand, I never had a cat who went for a walk with me, either.

Any advice?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome to CF!
IME, I would not. We have had one cat who *loved* going for car-rides. He used to ride 55mi one-way to work with my husband every day. When we moved here Rei could no longer go to work with my husband so about once a week or so, we'd take him for a car-ride into town. We were always very careful to never allow him an opportunity to escape from the car.
Cats just aren't like dogs, and if a cat gets frightened it may run off very quickly and hide, refusing to call out to let you know where it is and you may not be able to find the kitty. I just don't think it is worth the possible stress. Our kitties stay at home and if we must leave for a bit, we have a neighbor or friend pop in every day to care for them and visit a bit. They sleep most of the time anyways, so it isn't very traumatic for us to be gone for a short while.
Best of luck going to 'the cure' and if you are going to be there for a bit, I hope you and your kitty will have an enjoyable time.
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
385 Posts
I guess it depends on the cat, but leash and harness training is a must if you are going to travel with a cat.

When I was a kid, I went camping with a friend's family who took there cats along. Both stayed on harnesses the entire trip, but it looked like they were having a ball.

It sounds like your cat would do fine. Maybe try an overnight at someplace more local to make sure your cat adjust to using the litter box in a new place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts