Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of my life I have taken on a few feral cats. "Black Cat" was a very large feral (22lbs) living in the crawl space of an old house I had in Seattle's Queen Anne area 16 years ago. Flea bitten, worms, missing fur, snaggle toothed, living on garbage & zero trust of people. He and I eventually became friends over a couple years - though when I had him fixed there was a bit of a gap in our trust for a couple months (I imagine I would be upset too). He is still with me and has become a super well behaved indoor cat that loves everyone he meets. He loves short road trips in air-cooled VWs (I think it is the sound) and I have pictures of him in the passenger seat of several of the bugs and vans I have owned/restored over the years. We use to drive him around the neighborhood in my old bus and he would look out the passenger window and hiss at all the dogs we passed. He fetches, sits, stays, and has learned to hold still and "pose" for my old film cameras - more like a big black lab than a cat. He is starting to get a bit gray, plus he is a bit slower and fatter- but that happens to the best of us...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cat Two: Bella / Bellz / B

Bella was the runt of a litter of barn cats. All of her litter mates were killed by a coyote before my friend that owned the farm was able to shoot the coyote. Shortly after that the mother cat was hit by a car and they were going to take little B to the pound - so I took her in. She has the Manx stubby tail, big back legs, and the Manx personality. Not the smartest though - has never quite understood or gotten the gist of the cat scratcher (eight years later and she now stands on the scratcher base and scratches the area rug under it... sigh). Super clingy and seems to still think I am the momma cat since I hand fed her, sleeps on the foot of the bed. Oh and an absolute chow hound - will eat anything edible.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Super clingy and seems to still think I am the momma cat since I hand fed her, sleeps on the foot of the bed. Oh and an absolute chow hound - will eat anything edible.
You ARE the momma cat

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Your kitties are beautiful and I'm so glad to hear stories like this, when people take in cats in dire circumstances. The story about the coyote getting Bella's siblings is really sad.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Actually it is a photograph taken with some expired film in an old Spotmatic camera, printed the old way with an enlarger and eventually scanned.
As a one time photographer, most of my working life, actually, I find the result quite interesting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your kitties are beautiful and I'm so glad to hear stories like this, when people take in cats in dire circumstances. The story about the coyote getting Bella's siblings is really sad.
It was pretty tragic, needless to say she isn't a big fan of any sort of canine to this day... even from the smallest sweetest dog you can come up with.

As a one time photographer, most of my working life, actually, I find the result quite interesting.
I always liked it, but it is my cat. I have rediscovered the camera the last few years and am just a hobbyist that has no delusions of doing it for a living. After 18 years in the computer industry with a very hard burn out, I find "analog" photography a bit relaxing as an artistic outlet.

I shot that cat portrait before I left San Diego over a year ago. The details if you are interested - Honeywell Pentax SP1000 with a Super Takumar 55mm 1:2 using Tri-X film that expired in 1961 pulled to 200 iso and over exposed a few stops, developed in D-76, and printed on some old Kodak paper I got from a dark room "give away" on craigslist from a photographer that went all digital.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts