Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

1. I'm trying to find out more about keeping a cat:
a) I read from somewhere that certian kinds of cat can be trained to walk on leash just like a dog. Is it true?
b) Cat is very independent and is a great escape artist. They will roam around and it is difficult to confine or restraint them in the house. How true is this?
c) How do you introduce a kitten to the exisiting dogs.
d) Is there a need to trim the nails periodlically?
e) Is there a breed that is extremely friendly to children?
f) Can a cat be obedience trained?

2. Please advise and comment.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'll answer in order: :)
1a) Yes it is true but it needs to be done through time and patience.
1b)It is definately not hard to keep them in the house. I have two and they never even tried. I did have a cat several years ago that when she went into heat the first time she tried to get out all the time but it's really no big deal you just need to be more careful. I think dogs would be worse.
1c) I would keep the kitten in a room where the dogs aren't allowed such as a bathroom or your bedroom (just for a couple of days) and then in a couple of days let her roam around while the dogs are outside or something so she can get use to the house before they sniff her to death. Then intoduce them slowly and never leave them alone for a couple a days until you feel comfortable and you see they became friends.
1d) yes unless you want your furniture to pieces. every two weeks is good enough or every third week. Start as soon as you get the kitten so it will get use to you doing that.
1e) My domestic kitty I got at the shelter is best buds with my 5 year old. I didn't think a cat would like children like that but every kid that comes over the cat is all over them and tolerates them tugging on her tail and picking her up and squeezes. You just need to becareful because even if the cat is child friendly our cat has unintentionally scratched my little girl by trying to get down and jumping off her body.
If you are looking for a purebred kitty. I heard ragdolls and maincoons are super kid friendly but I never had one so I don't know.
1f) Yes a cat can be trained...with patience. Same as a dog lots of praise and affection and time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

1. Thank you Bengalsownme. I've more questions here:

a) Are there a specific breed that are proven to take on the leash quite naturally?
b) Does a cat shed its coat?
c) Are there breeds that are more suited to tropical climate?
d) Even if the cat is not in heat, I thought cats are natural climbers and can easily escape even if the gates are locked. Is cat a natural wonderer?
e) Can we deter cat from scratching the furnitures by spraying bitter apple on the edges and sufaces?
f) Are there such thing as obedience trail/competition for Cats?
g) Maine Coon is a nice breed. But does its mousing instinct lead them to stray around the streets?

2. I have a wish list in mind (not in order of preference) and they are:
a) Siberian,
b) Maine Coon,
c) Siamese/Javanese,
d) Eyptian Mau,
e) American Bobtail,

3. Have you kept them before? Please share your experience with me.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello,
a) I am not sure on if there is a specific breed but I have a Bengal and she was fine with it but it took some time of letting her get use to it first.
b)Yes a cat sheds just like dogs do. Some do more than others. My cats don't shed that much at all, I have a domestic shorthair and a Bengal.
c)It you live in a warmer climate I suggest a shorthair cat but it wouldn't matter if you have air conditioning.
d)hmmm what gates? outside gates? I totally recommend people to keep their cats inside at all times unless you have a lanai screened in. No you shouldn't have trouble keeping them in the house. By keeping them inside you decrease the risk of disease, infection, injury and unwanted kittens!
e)I have never tried the apple spray but you can deter them by purchasing some scratching posts and proper traing. Keep their claws trimmed and so on. I haven't heard of the sprays working.
f)I haven't heard of any but you never know! There are plenty of regular cat shows and you can find more about that at
http://www.tica.org/regularpage.htm
and
http://www.acfacat.com/
and
http://www.cfainc.org/
g)not if you keep it inside like you should!!! :) J/k my father has one and he claims it's the best cat in the world and very doglike. The cat is nice to my daughter when we are visiting.
2-3) I have never had any of those breeds my true love is with Bengals ;) but like I said my dad has a maine coon. I have heard siamese are very talkative and shy with kids, but I don't know if thats true. Don't know much about the others. Sorry. Those websites I listed will give you plenty of info on every breed you need and if you don't find the info there try doing a search for the breed you like and look up the breeds clubs. Thats what I did when I got into Bengals. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

1. Can your cat walk a distance with you on leash?

2. It will be expensive to turn on air-conditioning the whole day. The short-haired cats probably suit me better. Anyway, there are many fury dogs found in our hot and humid weather condition. There are even English sheepdog found walking in the Botanical garden, which I thought its a torture to these furkids.

3. I see. Should I say cats are more indoor animal than dogs?

4. I read that it is easy to toilet train a cat than a dog. A cat litter will do the trick.

5. How much do we expect to pay for a pedigree cat? May be you can cite some examples in the area that you live. I just want to have an idea. I probably can try to import one from the nearby Australia cities.

6. Is cat a loner or they do need companion of the same kind? I'm trying to see whether i should keep a pair instead.

Thank you very much for answering my questions.

Regards.

·
Registered
365 Posts
1) My cat will walk a little. She rather be on my shoulder up high because she is a foundation cat being only three generations removed from the asian leopard cat. They like to be up high to see everything.
3) Cats should only be kept indoors yep. It's safer.
4) Cats use a litter box and they are usually trained by 4-5 weeks of age. Clay litter works best plus it's cheaper than the clumping.
5) It depends on the breed. But I guess it would be from $250-800 or so US for a pet quality kitten.
6) They don't NEED another cat companion but you'll find cats are addicting and you can't have just one. Sometimes a cat may not want another cat around. It will depend on the cat.

No Problem!
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts