Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying my cat is a rescue. I have had her for 5 years. She has been doing this since I got her. She has a clean bill of health from the vet as we go regularly. I know this has been asked a million times, but I feel like none of the posts I have seen have all these parameters.

She likes to pee right in front of the litter box. Doesn't matter if the box has been used or is freshly clean. She will pee inside the box on occasion, but more often than not she will pee right in front of it. Doesn't matter where the box is. If I move the box she won't pee in the old spot, she will pee in front of the box in its new spot.
She has been doing this for the 5 years I have had her. I have tried a covered box, uncovered box, high sided, extra-large, covered with a flap (she hatted this one the most), clay litter, walnut litter, paper litter, pellet litter, crystal litter, and just plain dirt from the back yard... doesn't matter.
I clean the spot whenever I see it happen as soon as I see it happen and use enzyme cleaners. If it is on carpet I regularly use a carpet cleaner with the enzyme cleaner monthly when I clean clean the box.

It doesn't matter... she still pees right in front of the box... I am confused because she poops int he box no problem and even pees in the box on occasion, so why does she pee so much in front of the box??? I am so confused at literally at my wits end after 5 years of trying to find what she likes....

Right now she is using an extra-large corner box that has a cover with a large opening. She has seemed to like this box the most out of all the ones we have tried. I am using crystal littler right now but may switch back to clay as she seems to like that one best as well.

If she just a jerk? What the heck is going on? I scoop daily and even more when I am home all day... What gives?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Some cats like to pee in one and poop in another box. Some cats will not pee/poop if there's some already in the box. So do you have more than one box? Are you scooping twice a day? If she wants to pee in front of the one box, suggest you get another box and put it there. You could also try a cat attract litter for it such as Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract LItter. I've had good success with this when one of my girls decided not to pee in any boxes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts