Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

This is my first post and I'd like to say I think you people have a great thing going on here.

My cat, Lilly, is peeing on the carpet. I've been carefully trying to think of everything that would contribute to this and here is what we've thought of up to date.

She's only been doing this for the past month
She still uses the litter box
She is not fixed
She is very playful and doesn't seem to be lethargic
She eats well and drinks well
When I soak up the pee I have not found any blood or even pink stains in the paper towels
She ONLY does this at night and its become EVERY night now
She does not appear to be drinking any more than normal
She does not go outside
We lost a male cat at the end of November and this hasn't started until after that
She's only doing it in the living room, nowhere else in the house

The house is beginning to smell really bad, to the point I don't even want to invite anyone over. We want to clean the carpet up but don't want to spend the money on it until we're sure that we can stop her first.

I hope someone has an answer because we're lost!!

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
The number one cause for inappropriate peeing is a UTI, Urinary Tract Infection, or crystals in the urine. Both are painful when they try to pee and it causes them to associate the litterbox with pain so they try to find other soft places to pee, hoping it won't hurt there.

Also, unless you clean the pee spot with an enzymatic cleaner (Odo Ban, Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle) which will allow the enzymes to break down the odor-causing bacteria, the area will always smell a little like pee and encourage the cat to continue peeing there. For the enzymatic cleaners to work, you need to really soak the area and let it air dry. It also may require a second application of the cleaner.

Anyhow, you will need to take your kitty to the vet and at the very least have an exam and urine sample taken so they can determine infection or crystals. At best, you could have them do a blood test (between $70-100) for a complete look at what is going on inside with her. If your kitty has an infection she will need antibiotics and if she has crystals she will need a diet change to a better quality ingredient food and/or more moisture in her diet, aka: canned food.

I would also like to touch on spay/neutering pets. It really makes their lives happier and less stressful when they do not have recurring periods of time where their hormones govern them and they possibly become frustrated at having no relief from what the hormones are demanding of them.
Best of luck. Please keep us informed about how things work and what your vet says. The information you share could help other members going through a similar process.
Heidi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, we'll try that.

We plan on getting her fixed next month, we were going to do it this month but with everything going on because of the holidays we decided to wait until next month.

As for her food we tried a different food, however it still a dry food....just higher quality. Our vet told us to try a different quality food but never said anything about canned. He also told us to wait until next week to see if it stopped.

I guess the biggest thing I don't understand is why she does it only at night? She doesn't do it during the day when we're not home, only when we're asleep in bed.

Josh

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
There's an excellent discussion of inappropriate urination in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11560

Checking for UTIs is always the first step; you're not necessarily going to see anything unusual in the urine. But this jumped out from your post as a possible behavioral trigger:

We lost a male cat at the end of November and this hasn't started until after that
When you get the urine checked at your vet, also mention this and ask about treatments for behavioral triggers.

Best wishes & good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It seems a bit strange to me that your vet would tell you to just change her food and wait a week to see if its stopped. If a vet told me that about a cat who had just started peeing outside the litter box, I think it would be a red flag to find a new vet. :? Just a change in diet is not going to make a UTI go away, and if it is medical, it just makes the problem worse and puts your kitty in more pain for even longer. If its behavioral, its not just going to stop on its own in a week either.

Since a medical problem (UTI or crystals) is the most common cause of a sudden change in litter box habits, your vet should want to run a urinalysis right away to either rule it out as a cause or so it could be treated quickly.
Its possible that its a behavioral thing from the loss of your other cat, but you really need to rule out a medical cause before you start treating for behavior.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I agree with what's been said about your vet. Telling you to wait a week with something like this is just wrong.
Especially if it is a UTI, waiting a week could easily lead to kidney failure. And if it isn't a UTI, waiting a week won't accomplish anything.
Time for your fingers to do some walking in the Yellow Pages, or on the internet, to find a new vet.

And get good quality wet food for your kitty. A diet of only dry food isn't good for a cat.

If your cat is grieving, (yes, cats can and do grieve) lots of loving attention can help.

You do need to clean the pee'ed areas with a good enzyme-based cleaner. Just cleaning till it smells clean to a human nose isn't good enough. It has to be clean enough so that your cat can't smell it. Only an enzyme cleaner can do that by breaking down the chemical residue left by the urine.
If your kitty smells the spot where she peed, she will think it is her bathroom.
:eek:rcat

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
A friend of mine foster cat suddenly started peeing outside the box. He was vet checked. It was a no to UTI. She cleaned the spots with enzymes cleaners. Didnt help so she started putting feliway in the room on top of continuing to clean up with enzyme cleaners. Its worked!

Sudden changes in a cats world can upset them & their response is to pee outside the box. Speaking from experience with my own cat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm bringing her into the vet today so hopefully we'll get somewhere with that. I'll be seeing a different vet than who I originally spoke with. I'll keep everyone up to date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK well I took Lilly to the vet today and they said she does not have a UTI and her blood tests all looked normal. After a long discussion with the vet he's convinced that its a behavoir issue and if he had to guess he'd bet on it being the passing of Carmine, our other cat. He said that the most obvious trigger is timing, it started within a week of Carmine passing away. The second thing is when it happens....ONLY at night. He asked if they played and I said yes, mainly at night.

So....now the big issue at hand. What to do. I asked if getting another male cat would help her with this and he said it could but he could not say for sure.

So...what do you peeps think, where should I start?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
You could start with Merry's suggestion of a feliway diffuser. Feliway is a cat pheromone that promotes good feelings in a kitty. That might help your kitty.
Also, lots of interactive play with toys like Da Bird would do her some good by taking her mind off her grief.
:eek:rcat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm willing to try that. I have been playing with her a lot, right now she's having fun playing with a piece of foam that she's tossing around the room and every now and then bringing it back to me.

Where do I get this "feliway diffuser" from? And what is "Da Bird"?

Oh and she has an appointment to get fixed next month.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm glad to hear you kitty has a clean bill of health.
If she's grieving right now over the loss of her friend, she's going to need time and lots of love, just like people do when they lose someone.
I don't think getting a new cat right now is the right choice. Cats are territorial and adding a new cat is always stressful to resident cats. It could take weeks or even months before they get along, let alone play with each other. Maybe a new companion in a few months would be good for her, but I think adding a new cat at this time would probably just add to the stress and contribute to her behavioral issues instead of help.

I was also going to suggest Feliway. I've never used it myself but I know others have had success with it. It plugs into a wall outlet like an air freshener. It releases pheromones which humans can't detect, but helps to calm cats who are anxious or stressed. You should be able to get it from a pet store or vet, and you can also order it online.
You'll also want to find and thoroughly clean all spots where she's peed so that the smell don't encourage her to go there again. A fluorescent blacklight will make the stains show up, and soaking (you'll need to pour it on) it with an enzymatic cleaner will get it out.

I also agree that lots of extra play is also a good idea. Try to do it at night especially since that seems to be the time when she'd most need it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'll look for that and see if I can find it locally, if not I'll go online.

I bought a cleaner from Lowes that is supposed to be designed for pet urine, it also talked about enzymes on the label. It came with a black light as well. Before anyone flames me I started using it last night and as far as I can tell its working. I used the black light to find the spots in the carpet, it even showed a spot where my friends dog had an accident about six months ago. I treated each area with the cleaner as directed and check them with the light tonight. About 75% of the stains did not show up, the few that did show up only had a ring around the edge of where I treated it. I'm guessing they were soaked more than I thought and I should have tried soaking up more of the urine, so when I treated them it just pushed some urine to the outer edges. I hope it works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd highly recommend looking for online sources for the Feliway diffuser. Our local pet store charged a good $15.00 more for the thing than Amazon did. But, of course, the tradeoff is being able to start using it right away vs. waiting for it to be shipped!

I found that I could smell the Feliway, just a hint. But my nose has always been a little more sensitive than my hubby's, and I didn't find it to be an unpleasant smell.

Oh, and Da Bird is a cat toy, a pair of feathers on a swivel attached to a long string. It makes a lovely fluttering noise as you swing it through the air. Both of our kitties go just nuts for it, even our sedentary Desdemona will get airborne for this thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts