Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Longtime reader, first time poster. I've had my cat, Rabbit, for 10 years now. Got her from a friend and had no problems with her peeing outside her litter box until now. There has been some major changes in her life, however, as I have moved into a new apartment with a roommate with a dog.
When my roommate gets home with the dog, I put my cat into my room because we've tried but my cat doesn't play nice with the yellow lab dog. For now, we have to keep them separated.
I have two theories on why she may be peeing on my bed. She getting back at me because she's upset with the living situation with a dog and smells my scent on my bed or that she's mad because she doesn't like to be trapped in my room.
She still uses her litter box to pee as well and I have taken her to the vet with a full blood work and uralysis. She has no bladder or kidney issues.
After first discovering her peeing on my bed, I tried different repellents to try to dissuade her from using my bed. I bought marking spray, putting several big objects on the bed to cover the area, plastic covering and now chicken wire that isn't supposed to be pleasing on her paw pads. So far, nothing's worked. I've also tried feeding her treats on the bed to make her think of my bed as a pleasurable place. Does anyone out there in Cat land know what I could do to help prevent another event in the future?
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
She hasnt been introduced properly and the dog is stressing her out. You need to lower her stress levels or she could develope urinary issues. I use cbd(mct or coconut oil base only!), zylkene, and spray pheromones(quiet moments is my current one). Lots of positive moments in your room and lots of play time. She needs it to be her safe space. Caves, beds, scratchers, towers and toys to help her feel safe. Pee pads on your bed. Enzyme cleaner everything. Cats aren't spiteful.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes, you probably need to do some reading on how to introduce your cat and that dog. That seems like a good move on your part.
I know, even introducing two cats is a fairly elaborate, lengthy process, with lots of "scent swapping" and so on. so i would expect introducing a cat to a dog would probably just as fancy.

I do not know how to introduce a cat to a dog, but the experts on the internet apparently does! LOL.:LOL:
I agree with poster above, cats are not spiteful, but perhaps the cat might be claiming "YOU" as hers. Or, maybe she is trying to claim some spot in her home as "hers". i do not know, just a guess. I have watched "Cat Daddy" tv show and have seen several episodes where a cat is peeing simply because they are stressed out.
Sometimes they do not know what caused the stress,
but it sounds like it is easy enough in this case to figure out, you allowing a dog into your home that was maybe never "properly introduced" (?) seems to be the trigger upsetting your cat.
so now
it seems like you should consider learning up on how to introduce the cat and dog properly.🖥
Will they like each other right away? Unlikely. My daughter's cat and new dog took 2 weeks, but now, they snuggle.:love: They are always together, side by side, but you would have never guessed that for the first month of their cohabitation.
but
She studied it up ahead of time and went through the "scent swapping" and so on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
also, after you have properly introduced the cat and the dog, you might have to buy all new bedding as the lingering scent alone can trigger a cat to pee just from smelling a trace of it.

·
Registered
Lady Silver Belle The Destroyer, Of Clan Grey Tiger
119 Posts
Your cat isn't hateful or spiteful. Your cat is stressed because her territory has been invaded and the peeing is how she's making her claim.

You need to follow the introduction process and research how to create a more friendly home for your cat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts