Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Last week my boyfriend started allowing the dog on the couch and previously the cats had only been allowed on it. The peeing cat in question is very attached to my boyfriend and they usually chill and watch TV together for ~1 hour every night before the cat moseys off to his cat tree to go to bed. The dog and cat in question have lived together for about a year and a half and get along well. Last night though, for the first time ever, the dog rested its head on the cat while all 3 of them were cuddled together. The cat didnt freak out or even move, but the dog has never done this before and the cat did look a bit irritated. This morning the cat peed on the dog bed and I caught him in the act. The litter box is clean and we've never had any issues like this before. Thoughts on this being a new territory issue? Something else?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
The cat cherishes his connection with your boyfriend, especially hour of TV together. I think this is a jealousy issue. The dog crossed the line! Cat didn't like it at all and saw it an intrusion to his realtionship with your boyfriend. Peeing in the dog bed was his message that he wasn't happy. My suggestion? Is that your boyfriend keep the dog off the couch while the cat is with him. When the "cat moseys off to his cat tree to go to bed", then your boyfriend can invite the dog for cuddles, but put down an old towel or blanket for dog to lie on so his scent isn't on the couch. Give us an update. It's always beneficial to know what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We ended up going with no dog on the couch at all. It will save the couch from the abuse of a giant dog in the long run. haha After starting the no dog rule we caught the cat acting like he was going to pee on the bed but shooed him away a few times over the course of the next week (after shooing he promptly went to the litter box so there was no doubt about intent!). But after some regular evening cuddles with the boyfriend, while I hug out with the pup on the floor during "their time", the behavior seems to have stopped, and stayed as such with just boyfriend and cat time now.
The washer, steam cleaner, and I can give a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Thanks for the update......Yes no dog on he couch is better in the cat's eyes.--gr8news! 🐺

1 - 4 of 4 Posts