Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i got a kitten about 2 or three months ago, she is almost going to be 5 months old. Shes a very smart cat, the first few weeks she got here she peed on my roommates bed twice, ever since we kept her out of the room and she has always been using the litterbox correctly.
After a while i notice there was pee on the couch, it was a really dirty couch so i didnt notice all the pee until i washed it.
Just a few weeks ago my roommate was sitting on the couch with his girlfriend when the cat jumped up on the couch and peed right in front of them.
I took the cat to the vet to make sure it didnt have a UTI.
I moved pretty much right after that situation, and the cats have been making themselves comfortable in the new place.
I keep the litterbox in the bathroom and they use it all time. I clean the litterbox everytime they use it or whenever i get home. One day she just pees on my bed. So i wash them and i put the litterbox right next to my bed and for a few days she goes potty just fine. The one time i move the litterbox to another room to clean she pees on my bed. I thought maybe if i just becareful about not putting the litterbox too far from my bed then i wouldnt have a problem. But today as im doing my homework she pees on my bed again, and the litterbox was literally right next to her.
I have two cats, they are the same age and they are sisters. Her sister doesnt have a peeing problem, except once she peed on a cushion while i was in the shower(litter box was in the bathroom).
And the thing is she only pees on my bed, never on the beds of my two new roommates. I feel like she knows what shes doing, and shes doing it on purpose just case she likes peeing on there.
im absolutly sure it a behavorial problem, but i have no idea how to deal with this. Shes a very sweet cat too, very friendly and affectionate and gets along very well..
What should i do if she just continues urinating on my bed? Keeping them out of the bed room is not really an option because i sleep in the living room, two other girls share the bedroom.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Can you keep her out of your bedroom? Use an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to get all the pee smell out of your mattress, you really have to pour it on and let it dry completely. Use some in the wash with your bedding too, to make sure all the pee smell is gone, then put a waterproof mattress pad on your bed. Have you changed cat litter or anything? My friend's cat peed on their bed when she bought a different cat litter after using one brand for years. She took her to the vet, nothing wrong, vet said what changes have you made? So she switched back to the old litter and no problems.

ETA, I see you can't keep her out of the bedroom. Try the suggestions above. I would at least try to shut the door and keep her out of the room when you're not home.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Does she like your new roommates? Sometimes cat pee just to "mark" this is mine and that's why it's your bed. Possibly she's upset that she doesn't have you to herself, and now has two "strangers" to have to adjust to, and this is her way of saying she's objecting to this new situation If she's standoffish to them, have them take turns giving her treats and feeding her food for a while and see if that makes any difference. Either keep the door to the bedroom closed and/or cover your bed with plastic sheeting (hardware/paint stores should have this). Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts